There are newer employer reviews for Qualcomm

One of the most boring jobs I've ever had

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

The benefits at Qualcomm are very good -- free medical/dental/vision. Decent 401K match. ESPP is good too (stock is doing very well). Free gym membership. There's a good work/life balance here. Compensation is also pretty good (but I can't comment on the bonus plan).

Cons

This was one of the most boring jobs I ever had. It turned out to be more of a sustaining/maintainence role. Bug fixing occupied about 80% of my time. There's very little feature development going on in San Jose. Most of the significant work is happening in India.

Put more effort into assigning work and projects to San Jose based engineers so that they'll feel as if they have a stake in the success of QCA.

1622 Other Employee Reviews for Qualcomm (View Most Recent)

Good

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Stability of company, Stock price

Cons

stressful, hard work, haphazard, low ball offers

Need to prioritize correctly

Stimulating work environment, smart colleagues, great benefits and work/life balance - but big company growth blues

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Working at Qualcomm (in particular in the San Diego headquarters) offers great learning from all sources everyday - colleagues, countless seminars, technology fairs, etc. Excellent work culture for the most part, good employees are respected and rewarded.

Cons

Qualcomm has grown to be a large company, in particular in the last 10 years. The work culture and growth potential have, naturally, evolved accordingly. This means:

(1) Although the company is innovating in multiple new technology areas, in most parts of the company, innovation is recognized and rewarded only in the more traditional (3G, 4G) technologies.

(2) Qualcomm has become a very top heavy company. Due to the incumbents who started in the company early, and never left, low outside opportunities in the San Diego area, and simply the company being a great place to work, the layer of SVPs and VPs is huge.

(3) There is a good chance that younger and very talented engineers will be (are) frustrated, as promotions are, to a great extent, a slave of "protocol", which is applied in equal measure to everyone - regardless of talent. ("Although you're outstanding, we cannot promote you in two years because on average it takes four, etc.").

Qualcomm's executive leadership should try to develop a systematic and disciplined view of future technology strategy. The company should invest in diversifying into innovation in areas non-traditional to its core competence - which it is, but it should do so in a way that the new projects can be successfully brought to market and monetized.

There are newer employer reviews for Qualcomm

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!