Overall ok, not great.

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

Industry leader, cutting-edge development, decent salary, good health insurance.

Cons

Little/no reward for research or new ideas from management indicating the company is no longer interested in future technologies.

Advice to Management

People making decisions sometimes do not have right technical background. Instead of always looking from top, please try to look from a different angle sometimes.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. One of the most boring jobs I've ever had

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm

Pros

The benefits at Qualcomm are very good -- free medical/dental/vision. Decent 401K match. ESPP is good too (stock is doing very well). Free gym membership. There's a good work/life balance here. Compensation is also pretty good (but I can't comment on the bonus plan).

Cons

This was one of the most boring jobs I ever had. It turned out to be more of a sustaining/maintainence role. Bug fixing occupied about 80% of my time. There's very little feature development going on in San Jose. Most of the significant work is happening in India.

Advice to Management

Put more effort into assigning work and projects to San Jose based engineers so that they'll feel as if they have a stake in the success of QCA.

Good professional experience and development, difficult to achieve work/life balance

Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

Benefits are superb: great medical, chiropractic, onsite gyms and health programs, catered lunches (depending on group/job), discount coupons, free Duncan Donuts coffee and sodas. Dynamic, performance driven environment creates challenge and professional development. Learn and be involved with exciting and innovative new technologies. Worked with very intelligent, talented, and sociable people.

Cons

Although work/life balance is stressed company wide, many positions and groups require extensive hours with very volatile, stressful working conditions. Some positions require more and more responsibilities the longer you are there with very limited resources. If you take the time off, you will have to put in the time you missed to keep your head above water and face the wrath of not meeting your deadlines, which, in turn creates more stress. Some groups have no teamwork. You get siloed into a very complicated technical position so no one on your team can back you up or even knows exactly what you do. Conversely, you may not have a full understanding of your coworker's responsibilities. Everyone is too busy for crosstraining. Upper management does not approve headcount for department head's needs. Workplace stress is common. I have been in the workforce for 22 years and my position here was by far the most stressful job I have ever had. Again, this differs from department to department and will depend on the group and manager you are working for. Interpersonal conflicts and power struggles were commonplace. Management may be very talented technically and innovatively but not have soft skills required to be a good manager.

Advice to Management

Upper management should listen to department managers and directors regarding headcount and resources. They know the intricacies, complication, and time required for the ever expanding job requirements and duties. Hopefully upper management listens to HR about employee complaints of being overworked and workplace stress.