Qualcomm

www.qualcomm.com

A great place for an engineering internship

Former Employee - Interim Engineering Intern  in  San Diego, CA
Former Employee - Interim Engineering Intern in San Diego, CA

Pros

The people are great. I loved striking up conversations with just about anybody. You're surrounded by incredibly intelligent individuals, and you can learn a lot from normal conversation. I had a relatively challenging project and I was able to see the final product before I left.

Also, San Diego is amazing, I can't think of a better place to live.

Cons

Sometimes people in other departments didn't do their job and it help up my project. There is some bureaucracy, thought significantly less than other companies I have interned with.

Honestly, the worst part about the whole thing is having to leave.

Keep focusing on developing new technologies and push QCT products as aggressively as possible for the 4G era. There are some projects I'm not so sold on (Zeebo), and others that I think are great but are currently too overpriced (FLO).

Other reviews for Qualcomm

Engineers heaven

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

Irwin's legacy is a strong engineering culture. This for the most part thrives. I like the underdog mentality that was developed through the history of CDMA

Cons

Can get a bit insular and cocky at times within the company. We invented CDMA, but in other areas the company still needs to still needs to work on improving efficiency.

Sometimes people assume that every new business is going to be as successful as the CDMA licensing business, but I think people have to remember that things didn't just happen easily for Irwin and team. They had to really struggle to prove the efficiency of the technology, and even then there were some tough times for the company.

Be a little more humble at times, there are many areas that Qualcomm could improve from a technology side. Be more nimble, the company is getting to comfy and cozy with all the licensing revenue, people assume in SD that it grows on trees. Reward the outsiders who take big risks technologically.

Continue the pattern of treating engineers well, that is a great legacy for other companies to follow.

Good benefits and work culture. Can be bureaucratic at times...

Current Employee - Marketing Manager  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

Pros

-Benefits are above average
    -Qualcomm is an industry leader in a growing industry
    -Flexability in work hours
    -A lot of intelligent collegues

Cons

-There can be a lot of bureaucracy for a company that prides itself on its start-up roots
    -Decisions tend to be made slowly and in consensus (instead of mid-level management showing leadership)
    -For those outside of engineering, there are few others within your job function at the company

I think executive level management does a good job of communicating strategy and direction for the company, but divisional level management seems to be hit or miss in doing the same. Often what is preached is not practiced.

There are newer employer reviews for Qualcomm.

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!