There are newer employer reviews for Qualcomm

Like a start-up, but without the cash flow issues.

Current Employee - Director of Engineering in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Director of Engineering in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of cutting edge wireless/embedded software work, across both 3G and 4G technologies. Highly competent engineering workforce, fairly grueling interview process. Good pay and benefits, no issues with career advancement if you're capable and willing to put in the effort.

Cons

Not a sweatshop, but can be very demanding at times. You must assert your own work/life balance, or the work and culture behind it will demand more and more from you.

Advice to Management

Company culture is eroding in the face of increasing industry competition; upper management should try to hold on to the engineering-driven-company qualities that (still) make Qualcomm a special place to work.

reviews filtered by
  1. The best place I have ever worked

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

They have excellent benefits. They treat the employees very well. The facilities are excellent. They seem to always make the right choices.

Cons

I only worked in one group at the company, but from what I hear the work / life balance can vary by group.

2. Great company overall, good benefits, safe bet for now

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

Compensation package is good overall.
    Benefits are great especially for higher titles.
    Secure company for now, great market position.

Cons

Benefits have some oddities... E.g. negotiated benefits would pay for adoption fees, but nothing for IVF or other infertility treatments which are typically covered to some extent in similar size companies.
    Work/life balance can easily suffer in San diego with very aggressive schedules, over the last a few years schedules have become increasingly unreasonable.
    Hiring in SD is too lax imho... There is some good talent but a lot of incompetence in some groups. The case is much better in regional offices where every req is scarce and scrutinized.

Advice to Management

Live up to your roles and better handle the pressure, very a few managers do that ( I'm a manager) many managers pass the pressure down to their teams. This is in no way unique to Qualcomm and afflicts most companies. Qualcomm can defnitly improve managers training and accountability.