Great Development Opportunities Good Benefits

Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Test Engineer

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time

Pros

Qualcomm provides great development opportunities, people recognize hard work, salaries are good, Onr thing I like most is that team members are friendly and really helpful. They do not treat you as a competition while sharing knowledge.

Cons

Its too political. I have seen instances when directors call the project lead and ask them who is there in the LAB first before asking for project status. Be prepared to sacrifice all long weekends.

Advice to Management

Its getting too stressful. We cannot even go to team outings because of project loads.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great company, somewhat sketchy team placement

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very diverse work ranging from the usual stuff (web apps and mobile apps) to kernel software and firmware for a large variety of devices, most of which haven't even been announced/released yet when you work on them.

As a new grad, salaries are what I'd call somewhere between good and great in recent years. Signing bonuses, relocation bonuses, and stock/RSU's offered are excellent.

Excellent benefits: The health plan is one of the best I've ever seen. 3 weeks vacation starting. "Qualcomm card" which gets you pretty significant discounts at certain restaurants and stores. I could go on.

Fairly easy to move around divisions and switch teams if you don't like what you're doing. Everyone I've met is friendly, helpful, and open to discussion.

Cons

Qualcomm is a hardware company that is transitioning into more of a software company, and some software teams are not "up to par" in terms of best practices. There are definitely *some* teams that you could get stuck with in this regard, so be careful and ask a lot of questions before saying "yes" to the hiring manager.

In the "breadwinner" teams involving smartphone hardware: from personal experience, below average work-life balance.. You will get taken advantage of if you can't say "no" when it comes to working weekends. Don't get me wrong, its unavoidable sometimes, but if you get asked to do it a lot you need to start setting boundaries with your manager. I will say that most other divisions seem to have average to great work-life balance.

I personally felt like my initial team placement was not handled well. I had to be firm and reject the first position they offered me before they countered with a much more appropriate position. You need to be nice, but definitely speak up, know what you want, and again be prepared to say "no."

Advice to Management

Team placement could be handled better. Work-life balance needs improvement mainly in the divisions I mentioned above.

Summer Intern 2013

Current Intern - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great housing provided.
    Gave interns holiday pay/vacation days.
    Organized social activities for the interns.
    Very competitive wage.
    Do a good job and your essentially guaranteed a full time offer.
    Easy to move around to different departments, in fact it's encouraged.

Cons

I can't think of any. Even if you hate the job, Qualcomm is a great company to be able to put on your resume and you will be paid well for your time.