Qualcomm

www.qualcomm.com
  www.qualcomm.com
There are newer employer reviews for Qualcomm

A good company to work for if you are in a good team

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall company is good. Good pay. Great benefits.

Cons

If you are not in a good team, it is tough to work here. Sometimes the internal transfers are tough even though the company overall encourages it.

Appreciate your employees. They are your best asset!

1774 Other Employee Reviews for Qualcomm (View Most Recent)

Great company, somewhat sketchy team placement

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Qualcomm full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very diverse work ranging from the usual stuff (web apps and mobile apps) to kernel software and firmware for a large variety of devices, most of which haven't even been announced/released yet when you work on them.

As a new grad, salaries are what I'd call somewhere between good and great in recent years. Signing bonuses, relocation bonuses, and stock/RSU's offered are excellent.

Excellent benefits: The health plan is one of the best I've ever seen. 3 weeks vacation starting. "Qualcomm card" which gets you pretty significant discounts at certain restaurants and stores. I could go on.

Fairly easy to move around divisions and switch teams if you don't like what you're doing. Everyone I've met is friendly, helpful, and open to discussion.

Cons

Qualcomm is a hardware company that is transitioning into more of a software company, and some software teams are not "up to par" in terms of best practices. There are definitely *some* teams that you could get stuck with in this regard, so be careful and ask a lot of questions before saying "yes" to the hiring manager.

In the "breadwinner" teams involving smartphone hardware: from personal experience, below average work-life balance.. You will get taken advantage of if you can't say "no" when it comes to working weekends. Don't get me wrong, its unavoidable sometimes, but if you get asked to do it a lot you need to start setting boundaries with your manager. I will say that most other divisions seem to have average to great work-life balance.

I personally felt like my initial team placement was not handled well. I had to be firm and reject the first position they offered me before they countered with a much more appropriate position. You need to be nice, but definitely speak up, know what you want, and again be prepared to say "no."

Team placement could be handled better. Work-life balance needs improvement mainly in the divisions I mentioned above.

Good working environment

I worked at Qualcomm

Pros

Good interesting work. Freedom to switch projects, teams , departments based on your interest.
    Very good benefits.

Cons

Very busy and streesful at times.

There are newer employer reviews for Qualcomm