There are newer employer reviews for Quantcast

Great technology, not so great management.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Quantcast full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The technology stack is impressive. As an engineer you will work with some leading edge technology and some brilliant people. The Friday beer bash is impressive. Catered lunch and dinner if you stay past 7PM is also good. Nice offices (open floor plan). Good location, easy to commute to. Excellent place for recent grads as the pay scale is a bit low for the region. Extremely engineering centric which is good for engineers, not so great for everybody else. Not really a sweat shop; I saw very few engineers in on Saturday or Sunday.

Cons

Antiquated management. No concern for career development. Limited communication downwards. Lot's of attention paid to acquiring new talent, very little paid to retaining existing talent. Company is too large now for new hires to make anything off stock options if the company ever goes public. This is a typical 'negative feedback' company. You will not get positive feedback when you do a good job but you will get negative feedback when you do a poor job. Communication between departments almost non-existent.

Advice to Management

Advanced degrees don't always translate to productive employees or good managers. Develop a career growth path for new employees so they can have realistic, mutually beneficial goals with the organization. Improve the almost non-existent project management function and empower product managers who it seems are always under the thumb of engineering (which is somewhat backwards).

reviews filtered by
  1. Do not join unless you're an engineer. You will be set up for failure.

Former Employee - Client Service in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Client Service in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Quantcast full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product! Free food, dinner and weekly happy hour. Nice office location. Pretty much it stops there.

Cons

Lack of leadership and management is a mess. Long daily hours and weekends. No work life balance at all and lack of support from managers. There is no professional with other department. Sales, finance and CS team is a mess. There is no support with other department but mostly the blame game. There is a huge lack of corporate processes which should be consistence, effective, accuracy and timely. Everything is manual and pretty much broken. I was trained to email Sales and Finance and just wait for something to happen. It's a black-hole because I am constantly not meeting my client's request and target due to others delay action. Making it impossible to build new or retain client relations. It was a dead end place for me.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your Sales team and get them up to speed with company policy and procedure. Train sales, CS and AM how to properly launch their campaigns and meet client expectation. Consider automation for your accounting system/processes. There is no way you can file for S-1 when your internal info structure is broken.

2. Great company, although better when I joined

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Quantcast full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with really smart people around.
    I've worked for couple of good software companies before. So far the experience here is the best indeed.
    Some pioneer work on big data. Good reputation in big data community (at least I think).
    I left for some personal reasons. Missed it.

Cons

Sometimes feel management decisions unpredictable like black boxes. Long hours of working for some teams.

There are newer employer reviews for Quantcast