There are newer employer reviews for Quest Diagnostics

Sounds like it was a far better place to work when it was Berkeley Heart Labs and/or Celera.

Former Employee - Engineer in Alameda, CA
Former Employee - Engineer in Alameda, CA

I worked at Quest Diagnostics

Pros

There are some genuinely nice dedicated professionals: my experience was with co-workers and peers working at the Alameda facilities. There are some genuinely helpful senior staff who have weathered the environment for over a decade.

Cons

The Quest corporate takeover has created a lot of vast confusion. Celera is trying to act like it's still Celera and BHL, but it is Quest Diagnostics. Anyone seeking employment there needs to be very aware of that.

Beware of local management they arbitrarily bring in from the outside just because that management may have worked for Quest elsewhere. My job was supposed to be in engineering, not just as a desktop support analyst which would have been fine had that been what I applied for. The job expectations had nothing to do with the job description for which I applied.

Expect no work-life balance as "performance" (aka "attendance") is based on having one's rear glued to his or her chair literally from 8:00-5pm and not actual hours dedicated to the job (at least in my department). Telecommuting and flex-time was barely tolerated whatsoever and I specifically stated that I needed that when I was initially hired. It didn't matter that I worked weekends and could take care of equipment halfway across the country from anywhere. I also really didn't mind doing the Help desk requests because they are in dire need of a better system and more local resources that do not require overseas outsourcing when, given the economy and job market, is not necessary.

Advice to Management

The takeover of Celera by Quest created a certain type of odd insider backstabbing and a surreal "closed door" policy in IT that is highly more resonant, and I hate saying this but it's true: of managing people at a fast food chain rather then delegating projects to highly qualified engineers. I really enjoyed working with my local peers and the folks I both interviewed and collaborated with from the Quest HQ in NJ, the PA Data Center, and the Kansas City team. However, the local pace was neither fast nor challenging because of unnecessary bureaucracy. I've worked in major "takeover" environments before and this was a very unhealthy environment. It's too bad, because the place could have so much potential. I know the transitional managers from the East Coast are trying really hard, but they need to really clue into both the local Hi-Tech culture and the technology trends in the Bay Area.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Quest Diagnostics Las Vegas The Leader in Cost Cutting

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Quest Diagnostics

Pros

If you are liked by the Las Vegas SLT your job will be safe. Younger cheaper workers accepted.

Cons

Quantity over quality. The Las Vegas Senior management is OK with letting specimens go bad as long as it cuts over time. They would rather inconvenience a patient by having them have to come back versus pay for OT that would take care of the specimens.

2. Don't expect high raise, it's very small like ten or fifteen cents.

Former Employee - Asso in Hillsboro, WV
    Former Employee - Asso in Hillsboro, WV

I worked at Quest Diagnostics

Pros

not too much pressure of someone looking over shoulder. you are mostly independant.

Cons

kissing up to boss might get you better pay thru overtime.