There are newer employer reviews for Quicken Loans

My experience at Quicken Loans has been very fulfilling and challenging in starting a professional career.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans

Pros

Just a few of the things I value about being a team member at Quicken Loans is Great Benefits:
Awesome Culture
Potential for Growth within the company
Growth parallels exciting revitalization of Detroit
Great company/employee ethics

Cons

The long hours within banking

Continue to be innovative and always open to news idea. This is the bread and butter of Quicken Loans.

447 Other Employee Reviews for Quicken Loans (View Most Recent)

Great atmoshpere, great culture, incredible work place, horrible hours and expectations

Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans

Pros

The training there is unbelievable. I went in without knowing a thing about mortgages and felt like a master in the field after 2 months. Working in front of Campus Martius in Detroit was beautiful. It was about a one hour drive for me but at first I didn't mind becuase I need a FULL cup of coffee to oficially be awake. The building we worked in was beautiful. Everything was completely remodeled and was bright and colorful; it kind of felt like I was working for Google. You have your own desk instead of a cubicle, which is nice because you don't feel trapped in a box and can talk with the people around you when you had the time. Your Director (or Manager) always had their desk near yours so you felt like you can approach them at anytime if you were not clear about something. They often bought us good food for lunch and dinner and always had free great coffee available along with free slushies and popcorn if your into that. They gave you a lot of tools to help with your sales and the managing of your business. Lastly, they promote you based off your production and not seniority, so if you work your ass of for a few years, your definately making 100k+ a year. Full benefits including medical, dental and vision as well as 401k match (25% match which gets capped at around 5 grand a year) as well as some very entertaining and crazy work parties. The company is obviously geared toward peoples in their 20's and early 30's since that makes up 95% of their Mortgage Bankers. The building is filled with energy and doesn't have that uptight corprate feel, everything is way more easy going.

Cons

The absolute biggest downside of being a Mortgage Banker at Quicken Loans are the hours. Your working 60-70 hours a week, every week. They say 1 Saturday a month is required but they treat you terribly and look down on you if your not working every Saturday. They are very fixated on gaining new clients that it seems like they don't care what happenes to the client you just wrote the loan for. I was a top producer but began to get burned out after months of the 11-13 hour work days, eating my lunch at my desk while working, and being constantly monitored by having your phone calls ease dropped on by my director, "banking coaches" and other so called teams which makes it difficult and stressful to do your job. I don't think anyone likes having someone looking over their shoulder while working, let alone 5 people and having it done all day long.
    Also, they pretty much ignore you unless your writing loans at a high level. My director didn't aknowledge me until I wrote my very first loan. I feel like in any sales jobs, you have highs and lows. On my highs, I was treated like the popular kid at school and felt like I was friends with my all my superiors. On my lows, I was ignored by management, talked down to like a child, and could not get any of my important questions answered by any one of my superiors. At one point, after refusing to leave my directors desk without an answer to a question about how to prevent 3 of my loans that were falling through, I was told to "just bullsh*t the client and focus on new business." I don't feel like you should ever BS your client, especially when dealing with their mortgage. Along with that, they always came to you when you hit a sales slump and hit you with negative feedback which makes you even more stressful, nervous and hurts your confidence, which is probably the most important thing in this type of business. One week I was a top perfomer in my region, 2 weeks later I was told to "get my numbers up or your outta here." Clients could always tell if I felt nervous or not confident in what I was saying, which in turn, effected my business tremendously. They have a great structure set up as far as helping bankers succeed, however, its not perfect. They shouldn't say negative comment after negative comment when somone hits a slump and you shouldn't ignore your employee's questions because he's having a bad sales week. I had loans fall through simply because my director refused to answer my questions about it, which in turn, caused me to lose a couple thousand dollars. I finally couldn't deal with that type of treatment anymore and the high level of stress of not knowing if I was going to make a commission check that month.

The number of hours are rediculous. I have a family and I would only see them for an hour when I got home and then I would go to sleep. And when I finally had my Sunday off, I was so exhausted from working all week that I didn't want to move from my couch. I understand that your a company trying to make money but you shouldn't work your bankers that hard. If your bankers worked 40-50 hours a week, I'm sure Quicken Loans would still be one of the top mortgage lenders in the country and you wouldn't lose so many of your employees so often. In my training class of 65, we were told that probably only 3 people would still be working at Quicken Loans after a year. Also, focus more on positive feedback to your bankers so they can get their confidence and work moral up instead of putting them down. They know when they are not doing well and to constantly remind them of that doesn't help. Also, it could of just been my situation, but never tell a banker to BS the client, thats just horrible customer service and business habit. Lastly, I've seen directors yelling and screaming directly in the faces of their bankers with the whole floor being able to see it. There is no need to humiliate your bankers infront of everyone and then expect them to be an Ace on the phone right after. I have seen guys in there early 20s starting to grow grey hair just after a month of banking, its kind of sad.

Great job if you don't mind giving up your life

Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans

Pros

The compensation is awesome for a starting level sales position. The training is good, you'll know more about mortgages then you ever thought you could after only a few weeks. Lots of growth opportunity. Benefits are great.

Cons

They claim the "normal work day" is 8:30-5:30 unless your director specifies more. Well...your director specifies more...every day....every week. If you don't mind 9am-10pm shifts monday-friday, with 2+ Saturdays a month and a Sunday or two, then this may be the place for you. Be ready to be a very pushy salesman 12+ hours a day.

I previously mentioned the training is great...well the classroom training is. After that you're thrown in to everything and left to fend to yourself. Some survive, most don't. If you can fight through the training and get to being a banker you'd think "I finally made it." The fact is...you just made it to 70 hour weeks in down town Detroit.

Just like everyone else said...you need a better life/work balance. There's a reason people go to Quicken to get started in their careers and then leave within a few years to a bank that will give them 9-5 and comparable pay. Popcorn, slushies, and fathead gift cards only go so far when you have a spouse and children to get home to.

There are newer employer reviews for Quicken Loans