Quicken Loans

There are newer employer reviews for Quicken Loans

Sweat Shop

Former Employee - Full Underwriter in Detroit, MI
Former Employee - Full Underwriter in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really cool desks. At the push of a button you can set it up so you sit in your chair working or a different button raise it so you can stand and work. Also, there is a minimum of 2 monitors at all desks, at times I even had 3.

Cons

Crazy hours. You are required to work at least 50 hours a week before you leave Friday. Then you have to work 2 Saturdays a month. Realistically I was averaging almost 60 hours a week. This work load is not seasonal, it is year round. If it is a week with a holiday, you still need to get 40 hours in. The overtime pay is a joke. I was there a year and I still don't understand it. It is less than minimum wage. You have to work downtown Detroit. I know that some of our employees have been assaulted walking to and from their cars, BTW the average walking time to get from your designated parking garage and your office building is 5 - 15 minutes.

When you have "Team Members" that are struggling with something you need to sit down with them and take time to make sure that the source of the problem is resolved.

474 Other Employee Reviews for Quicken Loans (View Most Recent)

A true learning experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Quicken Loans is truly an innovative environment, with a vibrant culture and silly/vivacious people.

Cons

However, Quicken Loans also has a dark-side attached to it as well. I was an employee at this company and like in most cases everything (as usual) started off perfect. I was apart of a great company, a great environment with great people. I thought that I had a great team that respected each other and one that was ready to face any and every challenge possible. But as time progressed that perfect picture began to show it's imperfections. I was apart of the marketing division which consist of Internet Marketing, Product Development and Social. At one point in time, I was apart of the Mobile App Development portion. This team consisted of software developers, BA's and Project Managers focused on iOS & Android development. I did it all from inputting tasks into Qbert to Q&A testing on mobile devices. One day, I was called into the office with the Dir. of Marketing and some broad from the HR department. The purpose of this meeting was to assess if whether or not I was ''a good fit'' for the team. Apparently, some clown had been spreading false rumors about me amongst the team. Claiming that I wasn't engaged in my work, and pretty much just wasting time. This claim was far from the truth and seeing as though my team leader relied on He say/She say gossip to monitor my performance ( he was located in california) I felt as though the whole ISM culture was nothing more of a brain washing form of smug/mask wearing individuals. Fast forward, my team leader gave me a week to prove myself (my recommendation) that I was ''worthy'' to be apart of the team. I did do it, worked on projects one in particular an incredibly difficult one regarding the mining of data. I accomplished this task (OVER AND ABOVE) and ultimately was let go from the company due to the same reasons as before (GOSSIP & SPYING). Apparently somebody on my team wasn't too fond of my stature and they felt as though they had to do something about it. I'm not bitter about it, I just see Quicken's true colors because beyond all of the orange, blue, green walls...there's a lot of fickleness thriving in that environment.

NOTE: This is just a summary of my experience, some details were left out for summarizing purposes.

Your interns are more than just sweat shop workers tasks with mundane projects from direct hires who don't feel like doing their work. Teach Interns more about internal processes this is deeper than the ISM's but it's about structure.

Best Professional Development Internship I've ever had

Current Employee - Solution Consulting Intern in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Solution Consulting Intern in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Person to person training about your department, the industry as a whole and how to evaluate sales calls.
    -Great hours for an internship with great pay.
    -Effective Coaching

Cons

-A little overwhelming at first.

Keep up the great work!