R.H. Donnelley

www.dexone.com
  www.dexone.com
There are newer employer reviews for R.H. Donnelley

One of my favorite Careers and Businesses to have had the pleasure of working for!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent Training and Base Pay Increase while going through two months of very informative and useful information that will stay with you and help you with any career down the road.
Great Teamworking help even though you are only resposible for yourself, everyone there is friendly and always willing to help you grow and become better. As long as your serious and motivated with a proven track record you only have to "show face" twice a week. Ultimate Road Warrior B2B Account Executive Role, Company provided you will all office material supplies, unlimeted printing and resources out of office that you could access and work 24/7. Company provided Laptop with wifi card, in 2008 & 2009 you recieved $700/mo car allowance and $100/mo Cell Phone Allowance. Your cell phone was on your business card, best idea is to add a line to your current cellular account for $10/mo and increase your minutes and share between two numbers - one soley for work where you can store all sorts of sales and reminder notes. Facinating learning all about different businesses and industries and seeing how owners light up when you ask them about how they started their business and why and just generally why they love it so.

Cons

Even though I asked numerous times how to check that I was being properly paid the correct dollar amount on commisions with all the different levels and tiers and changing percentages I was never shown how and I had to go on good faith that I was properly paid all commissions. My last month there I closed a lot of accounts and it was a month before the clothes of the quarter sales cycle with a lot of my accounts not just renewing, but increasing - Yet A month later I got the letter of R.H. Donnelley Filling Bankruptcy and then a month after that when the quarter ended and commissions were paid I got a check for $24. With no way of showing that it was wrong and knowing how to calculate my own commissions so that I could have had a general range in mind for that check. I can tell you there is no way on earth it was $24 - no way.
Sometimes they can give you territories that are very far from where they know you live which can be very costly and time consuming. I lived almost in wisconsin and the base office was in Arlington Heights, yet I had territories in Algonquin-Crystal Lake-West Dundee-Deer Park- My Closest territoty was Waukegan and 20 miles from my home, but it was also a horrible territory with a mojority of my reccurring customers all out of business at that time. I think one of the things I least liked about working for DeX was out of your 75 current accounts to renew/upgrade in the 3 months that you had to close, plus prospect and add new businesses, but you had to handle collections for the businesses that were in your territory. If you couldn't get them current before the close of the quarter then they couldn't renew and whatever they had before and maybe weren't paying for 6 month would count against you as a loss and most of the time it was considerable. The worst was that businesses that went out of business within that year contract with Dex and literly had no store front or filed BK were still counted against you and your total % of closed accounts and Dollars

Try and assign outside territories closer to reps home base, dont add collections to a reps responsabilites and if those accounts aren't brought current or renewed don't penalize the new rep who never sold it to them in the first place. If your going to make reps resposible for collections then don't have the reps territory change each year and make the rep who sold the contract to the said customer responsible for getting them current. After all that rep was the one who made the commission of the sale, not the new rep. Additionally don't let businesses that go out of business affect your percentages or dollars for the quarter. It simply is out of the reps control that a business in their territory has been out of business for months or hasn't paid in months and are struggling to stay in business to be the reps responsability and that they should put in their time and effort try to collect on accounts that may come current but obviously know they cant afford to commit for another year. Out of all the excellet computer programs you have for training and resources and research I hope that by now you have created a program for your reps that will calculate their expected commissions and a way for the reps to check and confirm that accounts were closed properly and that they were paid as promised. I hope you are still doing the excellent training and the outstanding base pay with car and phone allowance because it was exstremely helpful and appreciated.

33 Other Employee Reviews for R.H. Donnelley (View Most Recent)

Living in the past

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good performance based bonus opportunities, good place to get your feet wet

Cons

- Antiquated sales process, training, products
    - Limited vision
    - Regular roll out of unproven products
    - Poor employee development
    - Career track to mgmt determined ONLY by sales results

- Add emphasis on skills & career development with employees
    - Concentrate on your customers, LISTEN to them. They are under appreciated, receive very limited service, and often times feel 'duped.'
    - Consider investing in employees for long term career advancement. A lot of time & $$ is spent hiring, training, firing yet turnover is regular.

Great Company until R.H. Donnelley took over

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

Still pays very well if you can convince customers that YP's are still a good investment. Internet product is crappy but most small businesses don't know any better. Easier to sell.

Cons

Upper Management is trying to squeeze the last dollars out of advertising base before the product becomes completely obsolete. Lots and lots of pressure for hard core selling and closing.

Stop all of the non productive busy work. It seems like the main event is the company is filling out enough paperwork so your boss can justify to her boss that you're working.

There are newer employer reviews for R.H. Donnelley