R.H. Donnelley

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

This company offers great earning potential. You can earn over $100k with some hard work. Lots of recognition if you are a top performer. Nice incentives and bonus opportunities. Great company trips.

Cons

No respect for employees. You are truely judged by your numbers alone. The company is insensitive to the economy or any other factors that are out of your control. Sales reps are held accountable for customers who are delinquent due to financial hardships. Management expects you to collect money from customer by any means necessary. The atmosphere is very tense and you always feel insecure as if you could lose your job at any time. Even senior reps have no security and always feel on edge. Finally, there is a lot of nepotism.

Treat your employees with sincerety and concern. Not like a machine where you are only interested in what they can produce. I believe reps will work harder if they know management is "in the trenches" with them .

33 Other Employee Reviews for R.H. Donnelley (View Most Recent)

Glorified Data Entry Job

Former Employee - Digital Editorial Coordinator in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Digital Editorial Coordinator in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

A job is better than no job in a down economy. Its indoors, and they don't physically beat employees. Pay is so-so.

Cons

Bad management. The company is a dinosaur, and unwilling to look to the future, is on its way out of business.

Stop spending billions on antiquated Yellow Pages Products. Your search product is a joke. Nobody buys that its a better alternative to google for local search. Know why...? because we all use google and experience tells us this is not the case!

Management gets in the way and very distrustful

Current Employee - Account Executive/Marketing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Marketing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

Best reason to work for R.H. Donnelley...or Dex...or Dex One...or whatever our name is next month is the 7-week sales training you recieve (top-notch) and the sales experience you recieve while on the job. The new commission structure is a big improvement. Depending on your manager, the job can be fun and rewarding if you're up for the challenge.

Cons

-The TOP REPS continuously quit due to micro-management or are terminated for minor issues (very bizarre for a "sales" organization

-Management and HR too closely knit (dispute resolution non-existent)

-Managers more focused on your whereabouts than on results...consistently calling you on cell throughout the day asking for updates and the very popular "WHERE ARE YOU?" Very weird considering they have our daily apppt schedules. Managers must definately be going stir-crazy in their offices, paranoid that their reps are sitting at the pool drinking mai-tai's. This is of course impossible considering the workload of closing 100+ accounts in a matter of months and the fact that WE WANT TO MAKE MONEY, which you can't do if you're not making new sales.

-Office vibe and the sales meetings are right out of the "Twilight Zone"

-Being successful at outside sales is a skill with a lot of creativity involved, their looking for robots who can set appts, not professionals who can sell

-Everyone always wondering why the top reps are always leaving company without having other job lined up in a horrible economy while they were making great money here. Something very strange going on behind the scenes.

Get message to division sales managers to lay off the outside sales reps and let us do what we were hired to do...SELL! Get off our backs and get a grip! Too much negativity and micro-management. Not enough positive leadership.

There are newer employer reviews for R.H. Donnelley