R+L Carriers

There are newer employer reviews for R+L Carriers

Working Experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good relationships, good people, a lot to learn

Cons

Low salary, low vacation time

65 Other Employee Reviews for R+L Carriers (View Most Recent)

If you aren't a driver, you are filth in this company's eyes

Former Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a paycheck. Not much else.

Cons

Disrespect to employees, unprofessional work environment.
    I was a P&D Clerk and later a Customer Service Rep for R&L Carriers. The impression one really gets working there is that if you're not management or a driver, the company couldn't be bothered to care one whit about you. Bonuses are given near-exclusively to drivers and managers, and when there actually IS something special like a holiday drawing, you really get the idea that it's not as "random" a drawing as it could be, as drivers/managers tend to win about 95% of the time on those. They tell you that you have a handful of personal days, but you don't really get to take them unless management decides it's a good day for you to take them; I tried to take one during a holiday season because I had a family matter to attend to, and that day off, which is guaranteed to me, was refused. You are heavily advised to "cash in" your vacation days so that you are working all the time, and you don't even get that vacation time until you've been there a year. This is because, after a year of working at R&L, you will WANT to leave and they don't have to give you the vacation time. I actually got vacation forced on my by having the terminal manager get so irritated with me for constantly complaining to him about the work environment that he just wanted me gone for a week. REALLY nice. The other customer service reps were constantly making rude comments to customers on the phone due to stress, and any time corporate heads came down, ,they were worshiped like golden idols. I was once told to clean trash off the front lawn when one of these corporate guys was down, just to make things look good. I did it, even though it wasn't in my job description, and I got NOTHING for the extra work, not even a thank you or any other acknowledgement. All in all, if you aren't a driver or manager, nobody at this company is looking out for you but you.

Recognize that you couldn't run this operation without clerks, customer service, and the dock staff. Treat them with the same respect and dignity as you do your drivers.

This is an unorganized company with no opportunities for employee advancement.

Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Analyst in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I took this job because I was unemployed.

Cons

Not a team oriented environment and there is no sharing of business knowledge.

There are newer employer reviews for R+L Carriers