There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley

Benefits and pay NOT competitive

Current Employee - Technical Writer  in  Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Technical Writer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many people seem to care about their work and their customers. Lots of long-term expertise and management that's risen up through the ranks, taking the open-door policy seriously and always ready to improve. Trying to diversify their core business to remain competitive as the global business environment shifts away from paper and printing.

Cons

Bluntly, benefits and pay are not competitive because their core business has a different basis than the industry they're trying to move into; resistance to improving salaries and benefits will result in less-qualified employees and an inability to compete with quality products and service offerings. It's hard to love what you do but to feel like your family is falling behind in real-dollar terms if you keep doing it.

Review the norm in software-industry benefits and salaries and move your technology business units (and maybe even the whole company) towards that model. Huge tech companies have great salaries and benefits and still pay solid dividends... how do they do it?

437 Other Employee Reviews for R.R. Donnelley (View Most Recent)

Learning Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Family atmosphere, everyone genuinely cares about each other and helps out.
    Great place to learn. Wide variety of work.

Cons

I'm not being paid what I think I should be, and we stopped getting merit increases two years ago. I can't say everyone isn't paid well. Just from personal experience. Be sure to start high, salary wise, when coming into the company. Their benefits are getting worse next year too (2013), from what I've heard, but I don't have their insurance.

I learned a lot here

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some of management actually appreciated hard work and effort

Cons

Most of senior management was not tuned in to what went on in the day to day drudgery and didn't really care as long as they were made to look good.

Look past labels and credentials to see who is actually doing the work. Sometimes a person with years of practical experience but sans a college degree is the person you want working for you.

There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!