There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley

It Doesn’t Take Four Years…

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time

Pros

Very good co-workers all striving above and beyond to get work done.

Cons

Shockingly poor management with little idea of what they’re doing, with no clear vision, an inability to either listen to what they’re being told, or to act on what they’re being told, who hide in their offices refusing to grapple with the huge issues they – and they alone – have created over the last 46 months. That their appointed subordinates (the department managers and supervisors) give every appearance of being appointed solely for their ability to say ‘yes’ to whatever they are told to implement within departments and to brook no criticism – tells you all you need to know.

Mediocre people appointing even less able (if that's possible) people whose only ability is to ‘drink the Kool Aid’ and disappear ‘where the sun don’t shine’.

TO THE RRD TWIN CITIES MANAGEMENT: Four years is too long to not even come close to merging two print plants and their two staffs. Presidential terms only last four years – and we know what happens when a President fails in his (or her) job. Only royal rulers and dictators stay in position indefinitely; most royal rulers long ago gave up ruling by edict, and there’s nothing at all regal about the TC managers; that leaves dictators… snooping, finger pointing, closed minded, cloth-eared, intolerant, surrounded by a protective layer of sanctimonious sycophants.

There’s a saying, that ‘ignorance is bliss’. That’s not true of the RRD Twin Cities plant management; in this case, their ignorance could cost 300+ people their jobs.

Take an honest look in the mirror.

Again, here’s the quote from the RR Donnelley corporate press release of December 9 2008, announcing the merger. The entire press release is still available on the RRD corporate web-site;

“The RR Donnelley operation in Chanhassen is expected to be fully integrated and operational early in 2009.”

It’s November, 2012. Chanhassen is nowhere near fully integrated, and is only dysfunctionally operational; the work going through the plant despite and in the teeth of the disastrous stewardship of this extraordinarily mediocre management, only because the general workers are good enough, and care enough to make it happen.

TO THE CORPORATE MANAGEMENT OVERSEEING US PLANTS; Read the above, and other reviews on Glassdoor.com and act. There is absolutely no reason RRD Twin Cities cannot be profitable and work efficiently and happily to the benefit of all stake-holders, be that RRD, the customers or the staff (including plant managers). But what is clear is that it will not happen with the current plant managers. They’re incapable.

Would I recommend RRD Twin Cities, as it currently is, to a friend as a good employer? Not if I wanted to keep my friends.

reviews filtered by

Composition Specialist - Fun place to work. Tedious work at times with late hours.

Former Employee - Electronic Composition Specialist III in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Electronic Composition Specialist III in Charlotte, NC

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked on financial documents for this company in their Charlotte office. You work hard in a relaxed atmosphere and build some pretty good friendships along the way. The training was solid and done by a seasoned pro. A wide range of folks work here, so that's good and bad. Plenty of overtime opportunities. Easy to be here.

Cons

The amenities and late-night shift hours are reminiscent of a bad hotel with flickering lights, but the friendships developed along the way more than make up for it. Work/Life balance is tough on 3rd shift, but if you like that, good for you. You don't get paid a ton of money, but you can make up for that with overtime which typically comes aplenty (though that may have changed). Again, there are a wide range of folks who work here who have slept varying amounts during the day, so be sure to tread lightly at times.

Buy coffee for your staff.

Thankful for the opportunity to work for RRD

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thurmont, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thurmont, MD

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work with great people.
    There is always a new project to keep things interesting.
    My supervisor lets me be pretty flexible with my hours.

Cons

Wish I could be compensated a little better.
    When they go through RIF it can be very disheartening.
    The commute for me is a bit of a stretch.

Just remember we all have family and hard times. Give hard working employees the benefit of the doubt.

There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley