There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley

A Good Start To The Year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chanhassen, MN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time

Pros

PROS; My colleagues – the hard-working people who strive, almost always in the face of worse-than shockingly poor management and supervision, to ensure the work gets through the plant to the customers’ satisfaction and, therefore, to the plant’s and the company’s betterment.

Also, most recently, a corporate management that has begun to actually listen and change things that should either never have been implemented at all, 4 years ago or should have been open to adaptation – and change – as soon as it became clear that processes placed an intolerable burden on those having to work with them. That, in itself, is a morale-boost for those of us who have worked with four years of the most venal and self-serving plant management it’s possible to imagine.

Cons

Jobs for the boys (and girls) still seems to be the modus operandi. Despite the fact that they can’t hang on to the staff they do appoint from outside – who, invariably, don’t hang around for long when they see what a nightmare it is to actually get work done. It seems that being a friend – and regular lunch companion of senior management (a description of position, not ability) – can get you a ‘promotion’, in one baffling case from PR to HR. That said, the PR job was pretty-much a well-paid, work-free sinecure for the last 4 years…

This is a workplace – not a social club.

To the corporate management – thank you for, at last, taking us seriously and for the changes you have made, so far. However, there is only one real way this plant is going to fully heal and function to its best potential (and, potentially, that is among the best in the RRD fold); for the plant to be managed by competent people who can actually manage a multi-disciplined print plant, and who understand ALL the work we do. People who can instil confidence, respect and trust and who can do so with honesty and integrity.

We’re all willing to work as hard as we can – and as hard as we still do (when we’re actually allowed to) for RRD. That’s all it takes – honesty and integrity – to earn our respect and trust.

Also, a forensic financial audit of this plant's books over the last 4 years might not go amiss.

As the saying goes, Leopards can’t change their spots.

437 Other Employee Reviews for R.R. Donnelley (View Most Recent)

Not sure they actually value their employees....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Schedule is very flexible, at least in my department. Locally, the company is active in community outreach....school supply drive for needy children, Christmas presents for seniors, food drive for the Humane League, etc. In my opinion (I know some of my coworkers feel differently), management is doing the best they can with what the corporate folks are allowing them to do. I actually respect them a lot, because I believe they share my frustrations, but are in a very bad position because the higher-ups don't allow them to implement the changes necessary to maintain employee satisfaction.

Cons

Wow...a lot, it seems. Didn't really think about it until I was asked to list them, but here goes....they absolutely (again, at least in my department) do not pay the employees what they are worth. The equipment (computers, phones, cubicles, etc) are WAY outdated. As a result, they ask you to churn out a ridiculous amount of work while not providing you the tools with which to churn. They have methodically taken away benefit after benefit...pension, health benefits,401k match and bonuses. Ridiculously inadequate systems...when you have to wait (literally...I timed it) 3 minutes to go from one screen to another within the proprietary applications, it is obviously time to upgrade.

Local management...keep fighting the good fight. At least this employee appreciates your continued efforts. Big shots at the corporate level...please realize that it's us little people who are actually doing the work that is earning you your million dollar salaries. A little expense in the grand scheme of things, for instance a consistent small bonus or timely upgrades to facilities and equipment, will pay huge dividends. Your employees should feel lucky to work for you but you should also feel lucky to have the employees that you have. You may have lost sight of the fact that we are literally all in this together. Even a small act of appreciation will gain you employee loyalty, which is something I find to be lacking. Please remember as you are sitting in your big house not having to worry about how you will pay your electric bill that a lot of your employees do not share that experience. We are all just trying to keep a decent roof over our heads and food on the table. Perhaps you could cut your salaries/bonuses just a bit to give the folks in the trenches just a bit more.

The leader in a dying industry.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large company with lots of capabilities.

Cons

Almost too large, not nimble enough to respond to customer's needs compared to mom and pop competition. Upper management has no long term view, only short term goal of raising stock price.

Have a long term (10+ years) view of the industry and invest there, not on short term gain.

There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!