R.R. Donnelley

A Good Start To The Year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chanhassen, MN

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time

Pros

PROS; My colleagues – the hard-working people who strive, almost always in the face of worse-than shockingly poor management and supervision, to ensure the work gets through the plant to the customers’ satisfaction and, therefore, to the plant’s and the company’s betterment.

Also, most recently, a corporate management that has begun to actually listen and change things that should either never have been implemented at all, 4 years ago or should have been open to adaptation – and change – as soon as it became clear that processes placed an intolerable burden on those having to work with them. That, in itself, is a morale-boost for those of us who have worked with four years of the most venal and self-serving plant management it’s possible to imagine.

Cons

Jobs for the boys (and girls) still seems to be the modus operandi. Despite the fact that they can’t hang on to the staff they do appoint from outside – who, invariably, don’t hang around for long when they see what a nightmare it is to actually get work done. It seems that being a friend – and regular lunch companion of senior management (a description of position, not ability) – can get you a ‘promotion’, in one baffling case from PR to HR. That said, the PR job was pretty-much a well-paid, work-free sinecure for the last 4 years…

This is a workplace – not a social club.

To the corporate management – thank you for, at last, taking us seriously and for the changes you have made, so far. However, there is only one real way this plant is going to fully heal and function to its best potential (and, potentially, that is among the best in the RRD fold); for the plant to be managed by competent people who can actually manage a multi-disciplined print plant, and who understand ALL the work we do. People who can instil confidence, respect and trust and who can do so with honesty and integrity.

We’re all willing to work as hard as we can – and as hard as we still do (when we’re actually allowed to) for RRD. That’s all it takes – honesty and integrity – to earn our respect and trust.

Also, a forensic financial audit of this plant's books over the last 4 years might not go amiss.

As the saying goes, Leopards can’t change their spots.

496 Other Employee Reviews for R.R. Donnelley (View Most Recent)

So so

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits good, advancement opportunities limited

Cons

Plant closures, poor leadership, sending work to,plants out of USA

Quit buying companies and manage what you have better.

The leader in a dying industry.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large company with lots of capabilities.

Cons

Almost too large, not nimble enough to respond to customer's needs compared to mom and pop competition. Upper management has no long term view, only short term goal of raising stock price.

Have a long term (10+ years) view of the industry and invest there, not on short term gain.

There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley