Overworked and underpaid

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits and great diversity in experience

Cons

Very low salary high standards and no consideration or appreciation for overtime and use of personal time as they have no boundaries

Other Reviews for R.R. Donnelley

Unrealistic expectations and little to no training

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The fellow employees are incredibly nice and welcoming. There's either so little work to do or the managers are so bad at preparing the work that you'll often spend hours upon hours sitting around doing nothing while you wait for them to get the jobs ready. Oh, and you can also wear comfortable clothing, which is nice.

Cons

They expect new-hires to perform at the same level as those who have been doing their jobs for over six years. In addition, the "training" if you could even call it that, was laughable. It consisted of a day long powerpoint and 2 practice documents. We were then turned loose on live jobs, and when--surprise surprise!-- we make mistakes, we were simply thrown aside, and they had another group of untrained people come in. They do this process repeatedly, and they seriously don't see the idiocy of it. The managers themselves were non-existent, often spending their entire day hunched over their computers, offering no oversight or direction.

My advice: just avoid them altogether, or if you want, milk them for 2-3 weeks worth of money while looking for another job in the considerable downtime you'll have while working there. They don't take your employment seriously, so neither should you.

Provide actual training, give new employees time to learn, and get managers who actually know what it means to manage.

Not the worst place to work

Current Employee - Proofreader/Typesetter  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Proofreader/Typesetter in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than a year

Pros

First of all this is not scholastic proofreading for grammar. The compensation is quite decent though the benefits are diminishing as they are with other companies I imagine. There are plenty of opportunities for overtime and the ability to move to different departments within the company after you put your time in. Which will aid in gaining experience for other jobs. The job is easy with plenty of downtime. Indirect customer service (no contact with customers). Immediate supervisors are nice, respectable yet carry a refreshing sense of levity and humor. If you can deal with corporate politics and evening/night hours, it's a good job. I would recommend this job to a friend as I know there are worse jobs out there.

Cons

Excessively SOP orientated with a suffocating amount of bureaucracy which means logic and freethinking are highly discouraged. Without getting too personal, Phoenix is begrudgingly not run like other, amazingly efficient sites and PHX management remains muddleheaded. The hours can be rather erratic during busy periods and as a new hire, you will most likely be hired for a second (4 pm to midnight-ish) or third shift (9 pm to 5 am). You will probably have to wait until the 2024 presidential election for a chance to move to the day shift in this particular department.

Get rid of the stultifying amount of superfluous processes and adopt those of other sites.

There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley.

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!