R.R. Donnelley

There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley

Good

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. People are nice.

Cons

No work-life balance. Advancement opportunities are very limited.

Listen to your employees in the field.

488 Other Employee Reviews for R.R. Donnelley (View Most Recent)

Hoist Driver

Current Employee - Hoist Driver
    Current Employee - Hoist Driver

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time

Pros

Lots of hours for those who need to make money

Cons

They own you. You get lots of overtime even if you dont want it.

How can I be reasonable and polite?

Former Employee - Presentations Operator in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Presentations Operator in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This seemed to be a stable environment. Donnelley contracted out to Moelis & Co. for their presentations and document production.

Cons

I was interviewed via phone by a person in New York City named Sam for a position in Century City, California. I was apparently successful, I suspect owing to my physical location to the job site. I'll take it. What ensued was two weeks of background checks, urine analysis, finger printing, etc. Mind you, this job was a 16 hour a week position as a "Presentation Operator" for an allied company called Moelis and Company. After three days on the job, which according to the New York City HR Department, was for "training", I was dismissed.........................................Here is my letter to "Son of Sam":

Friday, March 01, 2013

Dear Sam,

Really? After three days of “training” you terminate me? I am incredulous.

The amount of time and money your company spent in the hiring process, not to mention my spent time would suggest a little more lenience on your part. I certainly was not expecting you to train me on your time. I could have done that on my own. Instead, you leave me hanging from last Friday to Thursday, without communicating to me where I fell short. I could have used that wasted time to my advantage.

In fact, except a comment from Virgil that I did well on a number of report covers I emailed to him last Monday (these are attached), I received no feedback from either Paul or Virgil on ways to improve.

I would deeply appreciate your input so I will not fail another employer in the first 3 days.

Yours, sincerely

Anyway...........sour grapes right? Needless to say, Sam did not reply. There seems to be a fundamental communication problem here. I have seen the same ad on various sites for the same position in Century City for the past four months.

My question Sam.........are you aware that centralized hiring practices don't work? You couldn't have a person onsite to approve hiring right?

Anyway, Salutos.................thence, the character of RR Donnelley!

Eliminate your centralized hiring practices.

There are newer employer reviews for R.R. Donnelley