RAND
www.rand.org Santa Monica, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Flexible work place, variety of work, but commitment to quality is uneven and stress is high

Cost Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsResearchers can choose their own schedule and work from home when appropriate. Feel like you can make a difference in government policy. Interesting challenges and the opportunity to work with people with a wide range of skills.

ConsEasy to be overworked. High overhead results in projects that are underfunded for what they do. Many principal investigators are poor managers and that makes it hard to provide concise timely work. Reviews process does not allow for project members to give feedback on project leaders. Who to talk to about problems is not very clear. Can feel like you are punished for speaking out about quality concerns.

Great for Researchers, not so much for support staff

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

I worked at RAND full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great benefits, 4 weeks vacation, 1 week sick, 3 emergency… Cons: Support Staff over-worked, 20 researcher to one AA Advice to Senior Management: Take care of your support staff, they keep your researchers… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

A company with freedom to create your own blend of research projects and collaborate across disciplines.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RAND as an intern for less than a year

Pros: RAND has a very collegial atmosphere, with many opportunities to work on diverse projects and build your own… Cons: The main hub in Santa Monica is a great office, but the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on RAND.

Worked for RAND? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RAND reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RAND CEO Michael Rich. All reviews posted anonymously by RAND employees.