There are newer employer reviews for RAND

I enjoy coming to work here.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant V in Santa Monica, CA
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant V in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RAND full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team of people. Great location. Good benefits.

Cons

Like anywhere, it took a while to get to know people, but now that I have been here for a few years, I really feel comfortable.

Advice to Management

My manager is excellent and I think he is doing a great job.

Other Employee Reviews for RAND

1. Graduate Research Fellow (Summer) at the International Policy Center

Former Intern - Graduate Research Fellow in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Graduate Research Fellow in Washington, DC

I worked at RAND as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting work on policy related issues; could work on multiple projects at once; projects only last about a few months typically so you can move on to something new fairly quickly; free to work on my own time- in and outside of the office; intelligent colleagues;

Cons

Pay is contract based-- so if you're not billing to a contract you're not getting paid at all. In practice this usually means that you're working on projects you're not as interested in, but in theory it concerned me that I could go without pay at times with out much of a safety net.

Interesting work with some good people, but mostly hyper-rational introverts led by domineering/uninspiring management

Pros

Good name recognition and a well-established reputation. Flexible work schedule for researchers. Mostly interesting work. Basic benifits are pretty good. The professional relationships are generally enjoyable at the project and project leader levels. When done well, RAND work can and does make a positive difference. There are unintentional opportunities for professional growth, but no expectation of promotion or advancement from this professional growth.

Cons

While RAND touts entrenuership and innovation as core values, there is almost no opportunity for mobility and a significant deference is given to "waiting your turn." Attempts at entrepenuership and innovative thinking by relatively junior research staff are often viewed skeptically and sometimes openly discuoraged by senior staff (especially management). Senior corporate leadership demonstrates little to no interest in the value or experience of individual employees. Senior leadership applies strict reason to all things and makes no real attempt to motivate, lead, or otherwise positively influence people. Management consistently communicates that individual researchers are replacable. This attitude leads management to deal with personnel in a domineering and unresponsive way.

Advice to Management

Consider what your preference towards seniority, catiousness, and being a RANDite is costing you in terms of immediate productivity and long-term ability to innovate and adapt. Consider pursuing talent over willingness to wait your turn.