RAND

www.rand.org
  www.rand.org
There are newer employer reviews for RAND

Full of dedicated, hard working, and smart individuals (Geeks you'd want to have a beer with)

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The system of matrix management and the internal labor market allow for very flexible and interesting opportunities, while helping to ensure that people try hard to work well together. If you're over worked, it's easy to "share your load" since everyone needs to take on work to get paid.

Cons

There is a dark side to the "internal labor market." it can be stressful ensuring that you always have just the right amount of project work on your plate.

You do a great job communicating where the company is and where it is likely to be next year. I'd like to hear more about what we need to position the company for even more success 5-10 years down the road. In other words, what do we need to do in order to get a huge pat on the back or a "wow" from the rest of the country for our 75th anniversary?

94 Other Employee Reviews for RAND (View Most Recent)

RAND is a great place to work. Smart people, interesting problems, flexible work conditions.

Current Employee - Senior Researcher
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. Work on problems that are at the top of the national policy agenda. RAND research projects are interesting and often have substantial impact.

Cons

Not many. It is a "soft money" research organization, so you have to build up your skills at winning grants or contracts, but there is a lot of help with that.

Daily challenges requiring thoughtful and sustaining solutions.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in Arlington, VA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Extensive interaction on all levels; with other assistants, researchers, and administrative staff. Training was a continuous process and was combined with new techniques and changes that increased productivity.

Cons

Extensive use of computers causing physical discomfort at the end of long days; difficulty transferring from one unit (e.g., admin support) to non-research departments (HR, Unit Admin., Corporate).

Increase flexibility for transferability of employees among all departments.

There are newer employer reviews for RAND