Great People, Interesting Work, You will never be bored

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at RDX full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The dbas are some of the smartest (and most personable - a lot to say for a company comprised primarily of 'techies') I have ever worked with. There are fantastic opportunities for sharing knowledge, and learning from fellow DBAs, and you get to work with just about everything since there are customers on the bleeding edge, and customers trailing far behind, as well as customers with fantastic budgets, and customers on a shoe-string. Each type of customer has different challenges, and helps sharpen a DBAs skill-set. If you don't like to be bored, or be staring at a clock to see when the day will end, this is a great place to work. If you need intellectual stimulation and a challenge to feel good about your job, this is a great place to work. If you are looking for variety in your job, and the idea of doing the same thing day after day sounds like torture, this is the perfect place to work.

Cons

It is not a purely 9 - 5 job. There is occasional off-hours work and you do have to participate in an on call rotation as well, about every eight weeks. During a crunch time, you may average as many as 55 hours a week during a given month. I have certainly worked more at other places, and less at others. The jobs I have voluntarily left, as opposed to a contract for a project with a distinct timeline ending, or a company going under or the company I was working for getting purchased and moving to a new city, have all been due to having too little to do and being bored.

If I thought I had good advice to share with upper management, this would not be the forum that I would use to convey it.

Other Reviews for RDX

Challenging - BUT you learn a LOT

Former Employee - Remote Database Administrator  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Remote Database Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RDX

Pros

You work on many different customers so you are exposed to many different technologies. You have to be a good technician but your fellow DBAs are always willing to kick in. Great coworkers. Learned WAY more there than anywhere I ever worked. Their new help desk team team now works nights and weekends and has reduced workload (especially on-call). Used to be hard to do oncall. I am told by my friends that are still there that they handle 90% of calls for you now. Wish they were there when I was on call. New owner seems to be straightening everything out on billing and paying bills. Old owner was not good at that.

Cons

Have to manage customers and databases. So you have to keep customer happy too besides being a good technician. They compete against offshore firms which means margins are tight.

Make DBAs life easier - keep moving work to help desk DBAs. New owner needs to keep cleaning up old issues.

Claims to be a "great place to work"

Former Employee - Database Administrator  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RDX

Pros

Remote DBA does have some good DBAs that really know how to do there jobs. You will have some great co-workers that you will be able to learn a lot from.

Cons

-all this company cares about is making money

-has issues paying bills

-extremely poor management, always changing there mind on how they want to run the business

-promotions go to people who agree with management, not people who work the hardest

When I was there you were working your people too hard and more worried about your margins then your employees well being. You also make empty promises way to often.

There are newer employer reviews for RDX.

Worked for RDX? Contribute to the Community!