REC Solar

www.recsolar.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for REC Solar

Good place to work with expanding potential

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA
Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

REC Solar is a good place to work, most of the people here are great to work with and REC's IT department is one of the few places where you can gain experience using products such as Oracle ERP, Salesforce.com, and Juinper Hardware/Junos. They invest a large portion of budget into their IT department because at the end of the day having strong IT systems can push you organization past the competition.

A few other things:

The atmosphere is enjoyable yet professional
Plenty of room for personal growth if you are willing to get out of your comfort zone
Great people to work with
Great place to live

Cons

Like most places you have a handful of people (though out of an organization of 1000+) who are not the most pleasant to work with but that is to be expected as not everyone sees eye to eye on business strategy in a growing company.

The executive managment has experienced high turn over in the past which to some may be concering.

Pay is average at the Individual Contribitor level, but some departments have a better ability to retain talent when compared to others which can be frusturating.

The Solar industry is very competive and is lacking some stability, thankfully REC is one of the few profitable Solar companies around but at times is it still disconcerting.

SOP across the organization need to be enforced and/or created, unfortuntely few employees appreciate the necessity of SOP and supporting policies and Executive Management is not very good at forcing employees to follow it when it inconveniences them.

Invest more into your top talent and share services talent, many companies are poaching people from REC because they have qualities and the necessary experience that larger companies need.

Enforce SOP and related policies, without them you will never be able to grow the company to level the board is looking for.

50 Other Employee Reviews for REC Solar (View Most Recent)

Grow with the a company, be part of something bigger

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Denver, CO

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-High Growth, REC Solar has grown and expanded rapidly. I've had 4 different roles in 3 years because of demand. Working up from entry level to now experience high performing outside sales. Communication is imperative with management to articulate longer term goals.
    -Stability, REC Solar is one of the only solar companies to not lay anyone off when the going gets tough. Consistently profitable with great benefits, almost all employees are full time with full benefits and eventually 401(k) Plan. One of the oldest solar companies in the industry. Founded in 1997. Privately held company who is built to last and on profitabilty and putting the customer first.
    -Dynamic, There is never a dull moment in the solar industry. Incentives go away, equipment changes, legislature always a battle. There are uncertainties but people who can live in the moment and take advantage of the opportunity while it is there will be happy. It's always changing, growing, and you have to adjust. This is a perfect fit form people who don't like the typical 9-5 job. REC Solar has been able to adapt and fight through the storms of adversity.
    -Performance based culture, this is somewhat newer with new leadership. Top performers are rewarded with spiffs, and higher compensation. This of course is entirely dependent on someone's work ethic. I've had 4 roles in 3 years with the company all being promotions and growth because of proving my value.
    -Team culture, Small company feel with big company benefits. every branch is different but the Colorado branch is one of the closest. Team activities include, ski trips, concerts, camping trips, rock climbing, mountain bike riding, paintball, and of course dinner or happy hours. Although performance based we are not cut throat and everyone wants to see one another succeed. This is formulated from our leadership and team members.
    -Independence and work like balance, we all live by a certain code or honor system to do the best thing for the company, yourself and to be responsible. With this freedom there is flexibility with scheduling, working from home, vacation time and family first. There is no micro management at this level and people are expected to find things to do on their own if management doesn't specifically have tasks for you to do.
    -Products, The service and customer experience is truly the back bone of what the entire team is striving to achieve. In some case REC Solar might have a little more expensive product but the value on what they get on the back end is priceless. It's amazing working for a company who can back up what they promise on the front end. This is a total team effort from CEO to the installers, everyone is always in the best interest of the customer.

Cons

-Not the medical device world! Solar continues to decline in price, overall we have to sell more to reach the same revenue goals. The margins on job tend to decline and it's harder to make the same compensation as the previous year for a sales person. That is not REC Solar's fault that is an industry fault.
    - There has been high turnover with the CEO and executive positions. Everyone can speculate as to why. I think there are many challenges and many different visions how to run an organization. One challenge is that as a privately help company there are some risks that the board is not willing to take even if is the newest sexiest path that other solar companies are trending. We choose to be leaders not followers and sometimes there are disagreements as to which path is best.
    -Disconnection between sales and implementation. Overall, REC Solar has the best installation practices and teams in the country. At times there is a disconnect with sales people and implementation because the sales people are often working long hours from their home offices. There is not a lot of face to face interaction besides team activities. The team bond is sometimes slow to grow but gets better the longer the people are on staff.

I think we are the right path and with new management at the beginning of 2013 we are the right path to success for many years to come. Pay could always be better but with new performance based incentives it will be a true test of people's will and drive individually on their path and career.

Just when I think I'm out...they pull me back in

Current Employee - Solar Energy Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Solar Energy Consultant in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at REC Solar full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture-It's like working for a small company but with big corporate stability. REC focuses on it's employees and customers. The industry itself is always rapidly changing and at times REC doesn't change as fast, but is always focused on long-term, profitable, and sustained growth which in my book is a plus. If you are entry level there are great opportunities for advancement and you will receive far better training and on-going support than other organizations. Regardless of changing market conditions I have been able to increase my pay YOY. I have hard working colleagues to rely on and great people to spend time with outside of work as well (even the engineers are cool here)

Cons

Not much room for advancement at a branch office if not willing to relocate.

Never forget what it was like when you were in the trenches.

There are newer employer reviews for REC Solar