REI

www.rei.com

REI is leading the pack.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Supervisor in Seattle, WA

Pros

REI's retirement compensation is met no where else. Work-life balance is encouraged. And REI's co-op model is a great business model and lesson for the industry and outside the industry.

Also, REI is committed to promoting within, including development support and opportunities.

Cons

Timelines for promoting are much shorter if you are interested in relocating. But this is really because jobs are so competitive at REI.

Keep it up. I think it is amazing that four of our senior leaders started out on the frontlines helping customers.

Other reviews for REI

A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Kent, WA

Pros

The co-op spends a great deal of time and money working in community outreach and making our communities better places to live and do business. I am proud of the co-op and the direction that they are heading in. The company also stresses a good work life balnce encouraging employees to go out and enjoy the products that we sell.

Cons

The company culture can be a little too politically correct and confining. REI has a culture of collaboration that can, at times be frustrating. I also feel that the retail employees still need to be compensated better. There has been a lot of improvement in that area over the past few years but I still think the pay could be better.

You're going in the direction.

Work at REI and have a rewarding job working with great people!

Current Employee - Outreach Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Outreach Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

REI is a great place to work if you like people, if you like the outdoors, and if you appreciate a work environment where everyone is respected and given a chance. We go above and beyond consistently to offer great customer service which makes customers happy and which makes our job enjoyable. Employees are friends not just at work but outside of work as well. It's a great place to be! Work at REI and you'll have a fun job with opportunities for advancement and you'll meet a lot of great people who are active and who enjoy what they do.

Cons

Some of the downsides are that headquarters are based in Seattle and if you want to advance with the Co-op outside of the traditional management track, you have to live in Seattle. Otherwise retail management is your primary advancement option. As with any job, the quality of your experience with REI depends on your attitude and how much initiative you are willing to take. In my experience, taking initiative and seeking out advancement on your own is rewarded. In the end, REI is a retail company so if you don't like retail, this is probably not the job for you.

The advice that I would give Senior Management is to strive to be more like my store manager. He is a great leader and he really promotes his staff. He doesn't micro-manage people which allows those who want to step up to do so and to feel encouraged. I know that management at other REI's is not like my management team and that really affects the experience that staff and customers have when they come to REI. So I would say that REI's leaders in Seattle need to go out into the stores more regularly and talk with staff as well as management to stay in touch. And they need to be more proactive at talking with and responding to store managers.

There are newer employer reviews for REI.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!