Great

Current Employee - Retail Sales in Roseville, CA
Current Employee - Retail Sales in Roseville, CA

I have been working at REI

Pros

Benefits, room for advancement, work life balance.

Cons

sales, they accept too many returns.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Seems to get worse over time

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tualatin, OR
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tualatin, OR

I have been working at REI

Pros

Great ProDeals and most of the store staff are fun to work with. The benefits are good if you work enough hours to be eligible for them.

Cons

Most employees get just enough hours that we fall short of getting holiday pay, vacation and premium plan healthcare. I do not know what management is like in other stores but management in this store is pretty ruthless unless you are an employee who sucks up to them. Morale here is pretty bad except for the new hires. It takes a while for the new people to see the gap between management Rah-Rah and what really goes on.

Advice to Management

REI is becoming less and less of what it holds itself up to be. It feels more like Target or Kmart than the REI of old. I know that you are isolated up in Kent but does this concern you enough to enforce some needed cultural sifts? Or are you content to let the cash roll in at any cost to store morale?

2. great work environment - especially for retail

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Bloomington, MN

I worked at REI

Pros

High level of respect within staff and management, comprehensive training and support, friendly atmosphere.

Cons

It is retail after all, so no one will be getting rich at this.

Advice to Management

This was the best retail environment of a few that I had worked from high school age on. Everyone from top management down seems genuinely passionate about the outdoors, and I have made several lifelong friends that started as coworker relationships. Longevity of employment is the norm rather than the exception, and the 'corporate culture' is very healthy and employee-friendly. Keep up the good work; I'm glad for the years with you!