Loved the culture but was underappreciated.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Pineville, NC
Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pineville, NC

I worked at REI

Pros

The benefits are awesome - even part-time benefits. The culture is very cool. The customers tend to be cool also.

Cons

Pressure to sell memberships - with no direct reward. I felt personally underappreciated because I wasn't invited to stay on as a regular employee after my second stint as a seasonal employee.

If you like an employee enough to invite them back for a second round of seasonal work, invite them to stay even if you don't have many hours for them.

Other Reviews for REI

great company, great lifestyle

Former Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at REI

Pros

awesome coworkers, easygoing atmosphere, excellent company framework

Cons

it's retail - lots of flaky coworkers, and sometimes really young too.

Bottom line is its all about the dollar sign

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MD

I have been working at REI

Pros

-Great place to work while in college or as a recent graduate trying to figure out what to do with your life.
    -Health benefits are fantastic but you have to work a lot to get them.
    -Amazing employee discounts that enable you to get the gear you want so you can get out and do what you want.

Cons

-Management tries to push membership conversion rating without ever telling you what your stake in that as part of the excels bonus is. I wish they would be more up front and honest about the financial implications of that.
    -Unless you are worthy of endorsement and want it they will not mentor you. Some of us would like to get in a position to work in the outdoor industry as a company rep, but they either don't care or don't know about that side of the business.

Be up front and honest with employees about how they benefit from good sales numbers. Stop sugarcoating it. If I had known that my excels bonus could be impacted by $200-$300 based on a conversion rate or sales number I would of been a lot more motivated.

There are newer employer reviews for REI.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!