Best thing that's ever happened to me so far.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Berkeley, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at REI

Pros

Fun, real, appreciative, respectful management and coworkers. Major focus on work/life balance. Cooperative, family-like staff. Transparent senior management and company policies. Same-sex partner benefits, part-timer insurance, life-partner benefits, focus on growth opportunities if you want them. Retirement contribution matching. Twice annual performance-based bonus- yes, that's a retail worker getting an extra check for doing well as an individual. Tremendous discounts. Lots of recognition for jobs well done. I can't say enough to put REI on a pedestal as an employer!

Cons

Light staffing can sometimes amount to a thankless day of hard work and cranky customers- but at least your management won't accuse you of being the source of their distress. Also, its retail, so its not likely that you'll get a consistent schedule (which for some is a pro, for some is a con).

Thank you for moving ahead with recent tech improvements planned (you know what I mean), give stores an inventory specialist again (we need them), and some of your efficiency is resulting in a less-than-comforting automated feeling: bring public transportation reimbursement, referrals and other things closer to home again so we don't feel like cattle. I've never felt like that at REI up until recently.

Other Reviews for REI

Loved the culture but was underappreciated.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Pineville, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pineville, NC

I worked at REI

Pros

The benefits are awesome - even part-time benefits. The culture is very cool. The customers tend to be cool also.

Cons

Pressure to sell memberships - with no direct reward. I felt personally underappreciated because I wasn't invited to stay on as a regular employee after my second stint as a seasonal employee.

If you like an employee enough to invite them back for a second round of seasonal work, invite them to stay even if you don't have many hours for them.

great company, great lifestyle

Former Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I worked at REI

Pros

awesome coworkers, easygoing atmosphere, excellent company framework

Cons

it's retail - lots of flaky coworkers, and sometimes really young too.

There are newer employer reviews for REI.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!