REI

www.rei.com
  www.rei.com
There are newer employer reviews for REI

Great place to work, except for corporate management being out of touch with co-op member owners.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Representative in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Part Time Sales Representative in Boston, MA

I worked at REI

Pros

Everyone working there is an outdoor enthusiast and conversation with co workers is usually about their past or upcoming outdoor activities. Offers higher pay, benefits and discounts than similar retailers such as L L Bean. Examples are free life insurance, basic low cost health insurance and dental insurance for part time help, pro deals usally providing 50% off big ticket items such as Bikes, Kyacks, etc. Free annual bike tune up, ski tuning, and use of rental equipment. Promotes from within.. but must be clearly a team player to get a promotion.

Cons

Been a REI CO OP member for 40 years before working there and current management while increasing sales and profits is taking the co-op away from it mission without any imput from the member owners who purportly run the show. Going from providing good quality outdoor equipement that members want at good prices to becoming with quick markdowns more like a Marshalls for mostly women causal clothing labels. Mangers are team players and do not tell headquarters anything negative, like we are not carrying the right product for our area or what product we should be carrying.

Remember that you are the nations largest co-op not a coprporation and develop a system ( and highlight it on the REI web site and in the catalogue) for what co-op member owners want REI to carry and then listen to and respond to what they say. Encourage direct feed back, not through their manager as is not the case, from every employee on what members tell them they want to see the co-op carry or not carry. Many, many long term co-op members told me that they did not like the changes in the types of causual clothing products e.g. dresses, skirts, blouses, etc being carried which was crowding out a bigger/better selections in clothing for outdoor recreation purposes. The can almost always get better prices on the casual clothes items now being carried at the discount stores.

529 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

too much gossip, not sophiscated

Current Employee - Senior Markrting Analyst in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Markrting Analyst in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

friendly, relax, open, fun, fun

Cons

no career growth, manager is not competent, too much gossip, not sophiscated, technical support is weak

Loved the culture but was underappreciated.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pineville, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Pineville, NC

I worked at REI

Pros

The benefits are awesome - even part-time benefits. The culture is very cool. The customers tend to be cool also.

Cons

Pressure to sell memberships - with no direct reward. I felt personally underappreciated because I wasn't invited to stay on as a regular employee after my second stint as a seasonal employee.

If you like an employee enough to invite them back for a second round of seasonal work, invite them to stay even if you don't have many hours for them.

There are newer employer reviews for REI