REI
www.rei.com Kent, WA 5000+ Employees

Great place to work, except for corporate management being out of touch with co-op member owners.

Part Time Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

ProsEveryone working there is an outdoor enthusiast and conversation with co workers is usually about their past or upcoming outdoor activities. Offers higher pay, benefits and discounts than similar retailers such as L L Bean. Examples are free life insurance, basic low cost health insurance and dental insurance for part time help, pro deals usally providing 50% off big ticket items such as Bikes, Kyacks, etc. Free annual bike tune up, ski tuning, and use of rental equipment. Promotes from within.. but must be clearly a team player to get a promotion.

ConsBeen a REI CO OP member for 40 years before working there and current management while increasing sales and profits is taking the co-op away from it mission without any imput from the member owners who purportly run the show. Going from providing good quality outdoor equipement that members want at good prices to becoming with quick markdowns more like a Marshalls for mostly women causal clothing labels. Mangers are team players and do not tell headquarters anything negative, like we are not carrying the right product for our area or what product we should be carrying.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that you are the nations largest co-op not a coprporation and develop a system ( and highlight it on the REI web site and in the catalogue) for what co-op member owners want REI to carry and then listen to and respond to what they say. Encourage direct feed back, not through their manager as is not the case, from every employee on what members tell them they want to see the co-op carry or not carry. Many, many long term co-op members told me that they did not like the changes in the types of causual clothing products e.g. dresses, skirts, blouses, etc being carried which was crowding out a bigger/better selections in clothing for outdoor recreation purposes. The can almost always get better prices on the casual clothes items now being carried at the discount stores.

Amazing!

Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee)
    Lynnwood, WA

I worked at REI

Pros: REI was an amazing place to work. I definitely felt at home there. I have a BS though and found a higher paying job or… Cons: Customers return everything and sometimes you want to kill them… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

too much gossip, not sophiscated

Senior Markrting Analyst (Current Employee)
    Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros: friendly, relax, open, fun, fun Cons: no career growth, manager is not competent, too much gossip,… More
There are newer reviews on REI.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!

REI – Why Work for Us?

We Think It's Important to Feel Good About Where You Work People love working at REI because it's a place where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while enjoying a work-life balance. Another reason is that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for REI CEO Jerry Stritzke. All reviews posted anonymously by REI employees.