REI

Time well spent

Former Employee - Sales Specialist - Action Sports
Former Employee - Sales Specialist - Action Sports

I worked at REI

Pros

Obviously, one of the best reason to work here if you love the outdoors are the gear discounts and other perks/freebies. I wish I would have taken advantage of even more of the perks but I was only part-time and didn't keep up with everything.

Large stable company, interesting and fun products, can move up the company ladder if you want.

Cons

It's was an hourly retail position. I wouldn't have wanted to work full-time there but it was a nice for a shift or two a week and keeping the benefits.

You will put all of the money you earn from REI back into REI. It's not possible to work there and not spend all of your money buying up all of their gear.

523 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Great people and great atmosphere.

I worked at REI part-time

Pros

Easy to get along with coworkers due to similar interests.
    Never feel pressured to deceive customer for a sale.
    Great employee discounts.

Cons

You have got to know your stuff, though this shouldn't be a problem if you enjoy the subject.

One of the best retail jobs

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at REI part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

REI seems to attract really great staff. Most of the people I work with are fun and hardworking. Health benefits are available to anyone, including part time staff. The customer base is, for the most part, good to work with.

Cons

Too much of a focus on membership. At my store, we have a lot of customers that come in just to by a quick snack or other small purchase. Though it's possible sell a membership to these customers, the majority of these customers came in ready to spend $2 not $22.

The company is centralizing control way too much. Recently, shop labor prices for all stores have been set by the office in Seatle. The adjustments made are making it harder to sell memberships and are pricing us out of the market.

I can't speak for all stores when it comes to management, but at my store the management spends way too much time in the office. Since the only full time staff in the store are managers and they spend the majority of the day in the office, the sales floor is left understaffed almost all of the time. It's not clear whether the workload of the managers requires them to be in the office so long or it's because they are lazy. The employees in my store really don't trust the managers to lead, the leadership is coming from the strong employees, who aren't appropriately rewarded for that contribution.

When so many big retailers are trying to personalize the in store experience by giving the store that "local shop" feel instead of a nationwide brand, REI is going the other way. At REI, the stores are supporting the website. It's true that technology plays a huge part in today's retail environment, but unless you can do technology better than Amazon, you better focus on what you do differently, which is an in-store experience. Spending money on things like "inclusion" while starving your stores of sales staff will not produce the results you're seeking.

There are newer employer reviews for REI