REI

There are newer employer reviews for REI

Excellent employer.

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Boise, ID
Current Employee - Sales Lead in Boise, ID

I have been working at REI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great employer. They excel at empowering employees by providing excellent training and support.

Cons

Difficult to get on "full time," as they primarily hire and employ part time positions.

None.

544 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Frontline (cashier)

Current Employee - Front Line in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Current Employee - Front Line in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get the opportunity to move around to different stores as a green vest. You get health care, awesome deals on gear, meet people who enjoy the out doors, and get to learn new activities with co-workers. Stealing to not tolerated at all as an employee.

Many of the people I work with are fantastic, they are really helpful when it comes to trying new things in the outdoor.s Great knowledge base among the the staff. Co-workers want to go out with each other and do things. They help you feel comfortable with what your doing for the first time. If you don't understand something they will help you out.

Cons

It takes a while for people to get fired who should be. Like every retail job you get great customers but man when you get the jerk ones, you really do get them (doesn't happen to often Like one every 6-11 months). Only FULL time people are management.

Actually let people go when they don't follow the rules . After coaching the individual on multiple occasions, about the same thing or different things. Actually enforce what people should NOT wear to work.

Lukewarm bathwater... not what I'd expected.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at REI

Pros

For a large store I got the feeling the employees were great team players who shares a common vision - inspire others to get outside! I was shocked that I'm the most experienced "outdoorsman" in the store. Hey, it feels great...

Cons

Managers have to lie to corporate (to keep their jobs) and hide the real downside of working in a department environment. Why? I think they are afraid if losing their jobs. Personally, I'm already sooooo tired of not being able to leave my department and feel like I'm constantly forced to fit into a corporate machine without any soul or personality. REI is a great mega-machine I have to admit.

Stop focusing on numbers and get to know your people and what they have to say. You are really good at playing the game, and "Yes" I"d rather work here than Walmart or Target.

There are newer employer reviews for REI