REI

There are newer employer reviews for REI

Awesome

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great community, wonderful management, promoted my interests as well as those of my colleagues. The co-op structure is for real, and we all took that to heart; REI has great values and stands by them, all the way to the top, and help create a wonderful atmosphere.

Cons

Hours were always a struggle, which was a bigger disappointment than the pay (~$12/hr starting). Training was nearly non-existent, which led to inadequate product knowledge among many employees.

Continuing product training from vendors every new season would be great for building product knowledge, as we had to learn everything ourselves and I know we didn't have enough of a knowledge base to best serve our customers.

542 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Overall Pretty Friendly

Current Employee - Stocking Specialist in Baileys Crossroads, VA
    Current Employee - Stocking Specialist in Baileys Crossroads, VA

I have been working at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Accommodating to my schedule, easy to request time off, great employee discounts and pro-deals, co-workers are friendly.

Cons

Can feel like your job is thankless or unappreciated. Can feel like there is lack of communication or direction from supervisors.

Would like to see more direction and interaction for department supervisors. I feel that a lack of communication can lead to differentiating ideas of what/how things should be done.

Great Company with very eclectic people

Former Employee - Camping Department Lead in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Camping Department Lead in Boston, MA

I worked at REI part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Quality Products
    Customers truly value REI brands and want to learn about the products they are buying making it easy to inform them
    Sales Associates are motivated because they love and believe in the products

Cons

Need more REI Brand name gear.
    Too much "Made in China" gear and equipment being sold. Need to divest and make all REI gear "American Made". Lead the Charge!!

Mid-Level management is not always the most qualified and in many cases far less qualified than sales associates

There are newer employer reviews for REI