Operations Manager

Former Employee - Manager  in  Kent, WA
Former Employee - Manager in Kent, WA

I worked at REI full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wonderful culture and great employees

Cons

Work/Life Balance is dependent upon the department in which you work. Varies greatly.

Need better leadership, clarity and direction with major projects to ensure success.

Other Reviews for REI

Great transition positions between other full time jobs

Former Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Reading, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Reading, MA

I worked at REI part-time for more than a year

Pros

For me, REI was a great transition job. It gave me flexibility in my schedule, giving me time to plan the next step in my career. The pay was sightly better than most retail jobs and the work environment is very positive. The shoppers tend to be well informed and the interactions all tend to be positive. They also have a good discount purchase program for the employees.

Cons

The flip side the schedule is that it changes every week. Days, then nights and always some part of a weekend. I didn't like having my personal time change every week. The is the stress placed on meeting goals for memberships sold - it's not that hard, but still a an issue when you don't meet your goal. It can also cause a problem when another employee feels that you scooped a shopper that they thought they had sold a membership to. They also employ the mystery shopper score system - so be prepared to be judged on your performance.

Over all good management - I never had any issues.

This is a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at REI part-time for less than a year

Pros

Management maintains, and takes pride in, a very collaborative and supportive culture. Salespeople are not pressured to make sales. Instead, they are encouraged to sell to customers only what they will need, maintaining a long-term reputation of honesty and professionalism.

Cons

Some of the clientele can be bossy or like to show of their knowledge, but this is not too frequent.

There are newer employer reviews for REI.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!