REI

www.rei.com
There are newer employer reviews for REI

Better than average benefits, good place overall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Good Benefits- health, dental, life insurance, FSA, they'll pay 50% on mass transit pass (vanpools, bus, light rail etc); good discounts on gear, training opportunities available; guaranteed retirement contributions
-They promote from within. I started as a cashier, became a manager and now work in the HQ
-Great coworkers!
-They value diversity

Cons

-I don't think they pay store employees enough
-Hard to get new ideas through- there is a lot of old ways of thinking
-Work life balance is valued more in some areas of the company than others

544 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Great culture, still retail

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at REI part-time (more than a year)

Pros

REI places great emphasis on work/life balance, offers great discounts, and generally has an open culture that fosters teamwork. They are a great to work for as an employee who needs an accommodation plan. The gear discount is the biggest benefit of working in retail there.

Cons

Availability requirements for regular employment requires weekends (at least Saturday or Sunday). The revolving door aspect, while a feature of all retail creates a feeling of being disposable. Can feel at times like the corporate office looks down on the retail side.

Keep communicating with employees all the way down, but up the sense that you're not just placating us, keep it real. Make more opportunities, aside from from the one employee a year Anderson Award, for retail to interface with corporate.

C/S, Sales Floor, Shipping and Receiving

Former Employee - Shipping & Receiving in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Shipping & Receiving in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at REI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There aren't too many pros to working for this company. They may be on the top 100 places to work list, but it should not be. The discounts were fantastic, the benefits were second to none. My co-workers were awesome as well. Everyone loved being outside and doing what we were selling.

Cons

I agree with many people here. The pay gap between the management staff and the sales staff is WAY to big. I find it quite ridiculous that I was working 36-40 hours a week and was still under the poverty line. There is absolutely no room for growth unless you want this to be your life. They say that they are about a work life balance, but when you are required to work one day a weekend and at least 2 nights a week, that makes work life balance very difficult. I was told that I would be able to run the warehouse when I was the S/R, but when it came down to it, they wanted it their way and any other would be wrong. Also the company eliminated a position and no one assumed that position, so it was passed off to me and I was not compensated for it one penny. That is why I left.

Any advice that I would give would not be taken seriously anyway. They are going to do what they want to and that is final.

There are newer employer reviews for REI