There are newer employer reviews for REI

Times are tough and I'm Fortunate to work here, but it's not your Mothers REI

Current Employee - Comrade  in  California City, CA
Current Employee - Comrade in California City, CA

I have been working at REI

Pros

My coworkers. I love 'em.
No micromanagement. I am trusted to take some initiative.
Freedom from bondage of the same hours every week and no time off.

Cons

Staffing levels radically reduced last year means double the workload and impossible to meet the demand (or my desire)to give stellar customer service. Frustration.
Complacent managers with no leadership skills.
Can you live on ten dollars an hour?
When you only get 24 hours a week?

Show some appreciation for the "Sales Specialists, Cashiers and Customer Service Specialists"
-the employees who interact with the public every day. We create the wealth of the company. The cheap chocolate you pass out is just insulting.

499 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Good discounts...

Former Employee - Front Desk  in  Sumner, WA
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Sumner, WA

I worked at REI

Pros

The coworkers are very friendly, which is one of the main perks for working there. It has a great sense of family atmosphere. If you like employee discounts, then it is a great place for you with discount cards and pro deals with the vendors.

Cons

While the perks are great, the overall pay is somewhat lower than what would be expected for the job being performed. At least, it is that way in the lower levels.

I would say that while it is good to be the most popular company, it's also a bad thing to become too big and get away from your values.

Good luck moving up!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at REI

Pros

Benefits for part time employees. Perfect job for students. It is an atmosphere that wants you to balance your outdoor passions with work.

Cons

it is very hard to move to full time. You almost have to kiss up to the managers. Everything is centered upon selling memberships. If you have a hard time selling memberships, you are worthless to them. They do not value employees that actually know what they are talking about, and have experience using the gear that they sell. As a sales assocaite your job is to sell memberships, then product. Your hours get docked as a punishment if you do not meet membership goals.

Be more involved with your employees

There are newer employer reviews for REI

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!