REI

www.rei.com
  www.rei.com
There are newer employer reviews for REI

One of the TOP companies to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at REI part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work environment, fun co-workers, instant friends network, fun customers. I'm a shoe sales specialist, and I'm kind of a nerd about it. I love my co-workers, my customers and my supervisors. I love what I sell too. Really, you can't beat it.

Cons

With all retail sales environments, you have the occasional grumpy customer. In general, I think REI's customers are a lot more fun to work with than some at other local retailers. There's obviously the push to "sell, sell, sell," but that's expected. And honestly, I was once rewarded by my supervisor for convincing a customer NOT to buy a new pair of boots. Instead I worked with the customer's current pair until they fit correctly.

It is my understanding that the endorsement process was originally created out of the desire to provide each staff member an equal opportunity for success and advancement. The rumor is that historically management 'played favorites' with sales staff and looked to promote the people they liked best. From my perspective, I think the endorsement process has brought structure to the favoritism. I work part-time because I have another full-time position elsewhere. I am not personally invested in becoming endorsed, but I have been with the company almost 8 years and seen many good quality candidates get passed over while less leaderly individuals get endorsed, then hired, and then fired. I wonder how revising that program could/would/should encourage a more fair process that leads to greater success for employees and the company alike.

529 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Came up through the stores

Former Employee - Senior Training & Development Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Training & Development Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at REI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good worklife balance
    Great for people that enjoy the outdoors particularly if you are looking for deep discounts on outdoor product for yourself.
    One of the 100 Best Companies
    Good potential for retirement contributions

Cons

Limited opportunities for career progression.
    Can take a while to be seen as being part of REI
    There is a strong focus on whether you will "fit" with the company and the culture
    Slow to change and adapt

REI Seasonal customer service

Current Employee - Seasonal Representative in Sumner, WA
    Current Employee - Seasonal Representative in Sumner, WA

I have been working at REI part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Will work your schedule to help you. Training galore! Nice people to work with. Benefits for seasonal workers.

Cons

Have to really push memberships.

There are newer employer reviews for REI