There are newer employer reviews for REI

One time great, now just another stumbling retailer.

Current Employee - Marketing Supervisor in Kent, WA
Current Employee - Marketing Supervisor in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many of the people are wonderful but lack of leadership leaves them exhausted or burns them out. Pro deals are wonderful.

Cons

The company is bleeding talent and new managers are sub-par, with little or no talent for true leadership themselves. Training is non-existent and the lack of training is used as a reason for not hiring from within. The old guard leaders still in place are repeating the same wretched investment mistakes that have plagued the company the last four years as if they will suddenly work this time around. Constant cycle of failed or abandoned projects with absolutely no consequences to management/leadership for the wasted time and capital. Stealth layoffs have killed moral and feed an atmosphere of fear and expectation of more to come. Hard to work productively thinking you are likely next, and that current leadership is not capable of turning it around.

Advice to Management

Weed out the passive aggressive and finger pointing managers, be ruthless with those that waste time and money, implement real consequences for leaders that fail repeatedly. train and promote the good talent you have left, and hope you haven't left it too late.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The once and former great REI!

Former Employee - Manager in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Kent, WA

I worked at REI full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, good pro-deals on product.

Cons

REI has become a stressful, when is the next shoe going to fall environment. Many restructuring and re-orgs have become the norm. and seems to be long term employees who are targeted. Let me be clear, these were highly productive, well liked and respected employees but not valued by the new management. The culture and values are shadow of what they once were, pay more for benefits while they are reduced. Sabbaticals have been reduced and most likely going to be a thing of the past in the next couple of years.

Advice to Management

Poor senior leadership, poor decision making and the constant starting,stopping and abandoning projects numerous times have endangered this company. The expense alone is outrageous and the employees are paying the price. At this rate, REI is on the verge of becoming a cautionary tale.

Great People, Bad Upper Management

Former Employee - Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist

I worked at REI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at REI has lots of obvious perks from the great deals on equipment to the fantastic sense of community. I helped open a new store location several years ago while I was in college and enjoyed every minute of the following two years I spent with the company. As an avid adventurer I loved the discounts on gear and access to special product training directly with the manufacturers. The company does a good job hiring people that have diverse backgrounds in sports/travel to cater to a broad range of customers while also providing extensive product training; you can learn a lot while working for REI.

Cons

If you are working part time as a student or have another job, REI is great. But I would never recommend going career with the company on the store level. I saw several cases where upper management strung employees along for DECADES without offering any form of job security or realistic expectation of promotion or raise. From what I saw, some of it comes directly from management, but the rest comes from shear fact that turnover in low-mid level management is extremely low while turnover with sales staff is extremely high. The company looks very appealing from the bottom, but getting out of the base-line pay grade is extremely difficult.

Advice to Management

-Be realistic with your employees about time of progression -Stop eliminating management positions, leadership in this company is fantastic, the more the better -Maintain employee perks -Invest more in REI Brand product development