There are newer employer reviews for REI

Good option for retail work

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at REI part-time (less than a year)

Pros

REI was a fun place for me to work in 2010. Between the great pro-deals, other benefits, and fun coworkers, it was the best retail position I've worked to date. The pay, while not amazing, was better than I had been paid in other retail positions. I also enjoyed selling quality products to people and REI's company values (i.e. educations, conservation, etc). It was a really great job for me at that time in my life, and I would generally recommend others to work there too.

Cons

Unfortunately, it's still a retail position, so hours can be all over the place. It can also be difficult to get on as a full-time employee, which can make it hard to support yourself with just 1 job. While I was there, the multiple systems we had to use for customer service were cumbersome and frequently very frustrating.

reviews filtered by
  1. Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at REI part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is such a wonderful company to work for in that it is well established with a great work/life balance.

Cons

So far they have been extremely flexible with my schedule and very accommodating.

One time great, now just another stumbling retailer.

Current Employee - Marketing Supervisor in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Supervisor in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many of the people are wonderful but lack of leadership leaves them exhausted or burns them out. Pro deals are wonderful.

Cons

The company is bleeding talent and new managers are sub-par, with little or no talent for true leadership themselves. Training is non-existent and the lack of training is used as a reason for not hiring from within. The old guard leaders still in place are repeating the same wretched investment mistakes that have plagued the company the last four years as if they will suddenly work this time around. Constant cycle of failed or abandoned projects with absolutely no consequences to management/leadership for the wasted time and capital. Stealth layoffs have killed moral and feed an atmosphere of fear and expectation of more to come. Hard to work productively thinking you are likely next, and that current leadership is not capable of turning it around.

Weed out the passive aggressive and finger pointing managers, be ruthless with those that waste time and money, implement real consequences for leaders that fail repeatedly. train and promote the good talent you have left, and hope you haven't left it too late.

There are newer employer reviews for REI