There are newer employer reviews for REI

Good option for retail work

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at REI part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

REI was a fun place for me to work in 2010. Between the great pro-deals, other benefits, and fun coworkers, it was the best retail position I've worked to date. The pay, while not amazing, was better than I had been paid in other retail positions. I also enjoyed selling quality products to people and REI's company values (i.e. educations, conservation, etc). It was a really great job for me at that time in my life, and I would generally recommend others to work there too.

Cons

Unfortunately, it's still a retail position, so hours can be all over the place. It can also be difficult to get on as a full-time employee, which can make it hard to support yourself with just 1 job. While I was there, the multiple systems we had to use for customer service were cumbersome and frequently very frustrating.

Other Employee Reviews for REI

An admiral business model transitioning towards who knows what...

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at REI part-time

Pros

Great employee discounts, interesting coworkers and customers.

Cons

Virtually no training or oversight. Your product knowledge will not be valued. Wildly inconsistent schedule and hours, even by retail standards. The membership.

Advice to Management

You shouldn't compensate for the company's overall lack of direction with undue pressure on store management and staff to try to maintain overall market share. Every last person in the store I worked at was well aware that REI's talk of culture and values was an increasingly thin facade covering a lot of unease about the future.

Started out great…

Current Employee - Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist

I have been working at REI part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really decent pay for a part time retail job; not very physically demanding; coworkers are great people and there are many opportunities to meet amazing customers; ProDeals and discounts are truly hard to beat.

Cons

There is no recognition where it is due. In the past year and a half of my time there, I have really seen things go down hill. With a new CEO, the focus has been pushed more towards money, money, money from a true passion to get people outside. Pushing the membership gets really old, really fast. Depending on the location of the store, the customers can be absolutely awful. I wish REI was the same it was when I stated. Maybe other stored are better, but mine makes me cringe when I go into work.

Advice to Management

Start recognizing people for their actual work, and not their membership conversion. Pull your weight on the floor instead of checking your news feed in the back office.