REI

www.rei.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for REI

Good option for retail work

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at REI part-time (less than a year)

Pros

REI was a fun place for me to work in 2010. Between the great pro-deals, other benefits, and fun coworkers, it was the best retail position I've worked to date. The pay, while not amazing, was better than I had been paid in other retail positions. I also enjoyed selling quality products to people and REI's company values (i.e. educations, conservation, etc). It was a really great job for me at that time in my life, and I would generally recommend others to work there too.

Cons

Unfortunately, it's still a retail position, so hours can be all over the place. It can also be difficult to get on as a full-time employee, which can make it hard to support yourself with just 1 job. While I was there, the multiple systems we had to use for customer service were cumbersome and frequently very frustrating.

562 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Awesome!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at REI part-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is such a wonderful company to work for in that it is well established with a great work/life balance.

Cons

So far they have been extremely flexible with my schedule and very accommodating.

The once and former great REI!

Former Employee - Manager in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Kent, WA

I worked at REI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, good pro-deals on product.

Cons

REI has become a stressful, when is the next shoe going to fall environment. Many restructuring and re-orgs have become the norm. and seems to be long term employees who are targeted. Let me be clear, these were highly productive, well liked and respected employees but not valued by the new management. The culture and values are shadow of what they once were, pay more for benefits while they are reduced. Sabbaticals have been reduced and most likely going to be a thing of the past in the next couple of years.

Poor senior leadership, poor decision making and the constant starting,stopping and abandoning projects numerous times have endangered this company. The expense alone is outrageous and the employees are paying the price. At this rate, REI is on the verge of becoming a cautionary tale.

There are newer employer reviews for REI