There are newer employer reviews for REI

A wonderful culture with great and caring people.

Current Employee - Director in Kent, WA
Current Employee - Director in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to work for a mission driven retailer. New leadership and strategy will set us up for success in the years to come. Change can be hard but exciting.

Cons

Lots to do but we need to take a holistic view and focus on the game changers. We are industry leaders but sometimes have been slow to move on some things. Glad we are moving forward.

Advice to Management

During times of change remember to do the right thing. This is the heart and soul of our business and probably the reason you joined and others wish they could join.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fun place to work but not a career

I worked at REI

Pros

If you're just working part-time, it's a great place. Flexible work hours, great deals on gear.

Cons

Impossible to work at a retail store and support yourself. Even as a top performer, you still can't get 40 hours a week. Management hasn't actually been well-trained and are typically not the most intelligent people - just the people who have been there the longest.

Advice to Management

Value your good employees and offer opportunities outside of just the typical store management track.

I believed the feel-good hype, until I started working here

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at REI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Prodeals, mostly good coworkers, getting to try out new gear.

Cons

Selling memberships is their number one goal. Not customer service, not community service, not educating their employees to be experts in camping or footwear or action sports. The REI "expert in a green vest" is an expert at selling memberships, not at hiking, biking, skiing, or backpacking. Outreach classes have been almost non-existent over the last 6 months, informational 'morning huddles' deal exclusively with membership sales and not with product information, knowledgeable employees have been forced out due to "scheduling conflicts" while employees with no product knowledge and limited outdoor experience who have become close friends with management get almost 40 hours a week. Store management has become insular, hiding in their offices for hours on end, never coming out to the sales floor, ignoring employees whose views do not align perfectly with their own, promoting only those one or two employees who only tell them how wonderful they are, the store manager allows the sales managers to rule through fear and ignorance while he sits in his office and waits to retire.

Advice to Management

Get back to basics on product training, informed and educated staff do more to sell memberships than slimy used car salesman tactics. Give the stores the payroll budget to train all employees in all departments; a well-trained staff will sell more, act as a team, increase customer enjoyment of the shopping experience, and increase employee retention.