REI

www.rei.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for REI

A wonderful culture with great and caring people.

Current Employee - Director in Kent, WA
Current Employee - Director in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to work for a mission driven retailer. New leadership and strategy will set us up for success in the years to come. Change can be hard but exciting.

Cons

Lots to do but we need to take a holistic view and focus on the game changers. We are industry leaders but sometimes have been slow to move on some things. Glad we are moving forward.

During times of change remember to do the right thing. This is the heart and soul of our business and probably the reason you joined and others wish they could join.

562 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Best Retail Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at REI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

REI is a company that honestly believes in its mission to get more people outdoors with the right equipment to enjoy it while at the same time encouraging good stewardship to preserve outdoor spaces for generations to come. Most customers are happy to be in the store so more often than not customer interaction is very positive. Management has been genuine, supportive, and easy to talk to/work with when questions/concerns arise. I have worked across several stores and have experienced this in every one. Also, their profit sharing plan (they are a co-op) is quite nice and they also offer pretty good benefits to employees (especially for a common retail position). Each store has a break room and an employee shower in case biking/running to work is your thing but you don't want to work in sweat drenched clothes all day.

Cons

Just like all other retail, the hours available are always subject to the ebb and flow of customers and how much they are spending. If you are in a constantly high traffic store (or one in a particularly wealthy area) it is a lot easier to get the hours you will need though.

I always loved the meetings that kept us informed of how both the store and the company was doing as a whole and connecting the two. Also, the updates on outreach events is great. It helped me (and I believe others) feel like they were a part of something more than just a nice sounding mission statement and selling items. By learning about the results it connected our job to the big picture results showing more than just a bottom line dollar amount we have sold. Keep that up to motivate employees and keep them engaged!

Great place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at REI part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great community everyone very nice to me. Always go outside with friends from work. good deals on products. yay

Cons

low pay. not much in terms of career advancement. Can be a little under stimulating at times. Customers can be rude.

There are newer employer reviews for REI