There are newer employer reviews for REI

One of the best retailers to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at REI full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love the gear, our customers and the team I work with. I never dread going to work and find myself putting in extra time. I love what REI stands for and find it easy to talk about the Co-Op. I really appreciate the direction that executive management is taking our company.

Cons

Pay is not the best, but fair considering comparable employers. Management above the store level seems to be more interested in their own career advancement. I think our marketing folks are too focused on the next trend and sometimes lose site of our core customer and our competencies.

Keep pushing us to exceed our customer's expectations. Keep pushing to improve the technical tools that help make our jobs effective and efficient. This is especially important relative to the selling process in the store (as opposed to the online experience).

492 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Fun, but impossible to make any money.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at REI part-time for less than a year

Pros

REI has some of the best customers in the retail world- they want to be there talking to you and very rarely come in because they need someone to yell at. Other employees share your passions and are always up for getting together for a hike or a ride. Pro-deals are fantastic, as are the benis.

Cons

It gets really hard to drink the kool-aid there sometimes. Between management blatantly lying, never enough hours for the people who want them, and the absurd inability of the management team to agree on how to do things, it's frustrating to try and get hyped about explaining how awesome a company it is to customers every day. I have had weeks during the slow season where I wasn't even on the schedule- you never know week to week what kind of hours/money you'll get next week.

Be honest with your employees. And communicate with each other before changing procedures, so your employees aren't getting yelled at by three different managers to do things three different ways. It will cost less to bump the people who want it up to full time than it will to train new hires to work two shifts a week for six months. And it you wont give anyone full time, give them fixed schedules to they can feasibly work elsewhere. Also, the whole not being able to work more than 24 hours on a holiday week or you get OT thing is supposed to help your employees make more money for working during the holidays, not cut their paychecks down by limiting their hours.

AWESOME!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Redmond, WA

I have been working at REI part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People are great...coworkers and customers. Great discount.

Cons

Hours can be hard to get in slow times...the stores are VERY budget conscience.

Help foster long term career goals for employees.

There are newer employer reviews for REI

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!