REI

www.rei.com
  www.rei.com
There are newer employer reviews for REI

Big company still trying to be a small company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I worked at REI

Pros

Pro Deals rock! There are a lot of very good people their. The turn over is very low. People don't like to leave.

Cons

Turnover is very low, there are folks in IT who have been there for 20 years. They still live in a mainframe world. Outsiders don't get let into the club easily.

You bring people in from the outside to help bring you new and fresh ways of doing things but then offer them no support and shut them down at every opportunity. If you don't want fresh ideas then why ask for them?

523 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

R.E.I. from a corporate level may look good but once you get down to the store level, that's a different story.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at REI

Pros

The pro-deals are great, and a few instore deals are good too. Being able to meet and hang out with like minded people.

Cons

MEMBERSHIPS !!!! That is the only thing they are worried about, if you fall short of your goal you lost hours. Over the years product knowledge has slipped and seems to be a non concerned that employees have any. Weeding out employees with tenure to reduce payroll. Incompetent Managers and Supervisors. As employees we take a yearly survey and the Management portion of the review consistently and porgressively get worst but yet they suffer no consequences.

Take a good look at yourself and ask would I hire myself, NO you wouldn't.

Top employer for mediocre people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

People seem friendly. Good discounts on outdoor gear. Generous retirement if company is profitable. The corporate campus in Kent is pretty: with a small waterfall, stream, and pond. You can do mediocre work, take lots of time off, and still get paid.

Cons

Most people are incompetent and unable to work independently. There is no trust, commitment, or accountability. Most people are passive-aggressive. My boss expects 60-hour weeks, but pays for only 40. Taking initiative is punished.

HR folks are overly protective of REI's reputation, so don't say anything critical about the company to them. You'll get counterattacked with negative "feedback" and It will kill your career.

Senior management has good vision, but is out of touch with reality. Middle management doesn't add value to the company. Advice: mature the corporate culture.

There are newer employer reviews for REI