There are newer employer reviews for REI

R.E.I. from a corporate level may look good but once you get down to the store level, that's a different story.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at REI

Pros

The pro-deals are great, and a few instore deals are good too. Being able to meet and hang out with like minded people.

Cons

MEMBERSHIPS !!!! That is the only thing they are worried about, if you fall short of your goal you lost hours. Over the years product knowledge has slipped and seems to be a non concerned that employees have any. Weeding out employees with tenure to reduce payroll. Incompetent Managers and Supervisors. As employees we take a yearly survey and the Management portion of the review consistently and porgressively get worst but yet they suffer no consequences.

Take a good look at yourself and ask would I hire myself, NO you wouldn't.

516 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Top employer for mediocre people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

People seem friendly. Good discounts on outdoor gear. Generous retirement if company is profitable. The corporate campus in Kent is pretty: with a small waterfall, stream, and pond. You can do mediocre work, take lots of time off, and still get paid.

Cons

Most people are incompetent and unable to work independently. There is no trust, commitment, or accountability. Most people are passive-aggressive. My boss expects 60-hour weeks, but pays for only 40. Taking initiative is punished.

HR folks are overly protective of REI's reputation, so don't say anything critical about the company to them. You'll get counterattacked with negative "feedback" and It will kill your career.

Senior management has good vision, but is out of touch with reality. Middle management doesn't add value to the company. Advice: mature the corporate culture.

REI good place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I worked at REI

Pros

REi promotes Work Life Balance and Outdoor nature interaction. REI gives great benefits packages and embrace all types of lifestyles.

Cons

REI tends to hire same personality type employees and internally. At corporate it is mostly caucasian. Their customer demographics tend to match with their employee mix.

If you want to get more people of color into the workplace you cant do it only with pictures of models of color hiking and biking.

There are newer employer reviews for REI