REI

www.rei.com
  www.rei.com
There are newer employer reviews for REI

Middle management promotion/hiring decisions based on politics instead of moving the business forward

Current Employee - Staff (7 Years) in Kent, WA
Current Employee - Staff (7 Years) in Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

Benefits in general -- including health care, employee discounts, bonus, above average vacation accrual per years served, 15 year sabbatical, casual attire.

Cons

Say you were the owner of a professional football team and had an opportunity to obtain the best quarterback in the league that gives you a better than 50% shot to win the Superbowl. Everything else being equal (e.g. salaries), would you (a) acquire/promote the super-star quarterback, or (b) make your buddy who once played pop-warner football as a kid, your franchise player in the key position as quarterback? Sadly, the answer is (b) in significant areas at corporate REI. Who, what suffers? The rest of the "team" who become demoralized and demotivated -- and more importantly, the business.

Break the middle-management (managers and directors) cliques/alliances of years-gone-by flushing them out and promoting competent, proven people from within or outside the company. Some current management "veterans" (who would never have been promoted or hired into their current positions now), are holding back REI's business growth, as they are more concerned with their own advancement and covering for, or promoting themselves/each-other, that there is no time left in the day for anything else. The result is that you have a steady trickle of your best "smartest, and most competent" staff people leaving the company (ebbing or flowing based on economy). On the up side, some recent promotions (to fill new mgt positions, and the all-too-seldom replacing of existing mgt positions), have been very good and encouraging. Not surprisingly though, these kind of promotions have come from the "straight-up" side of the house, i.e. managers who are either fairly new themselves (as managers promoted from within, or hired from the outside), or have rightly chosen not to participate in the politics because it violates their personal code of ethics. Please continue to encourage and promote these kind of folks who take the core values on the back of our badges seriously !!!

529 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

REI is great!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumner, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumner, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

The company takes a very pro-active approach to supporting employees and making REI an employer of choice. I've worked here for a few years and I'm continually impressed with the senior leadership of the company. I feel so lucky to work for REI.

Cons

REI is a retailer, we have ups and down in business volume. As long as you understand the season and what to expect, there isn't a problem.

Thank you for your guidance and leadership. Thank you for offering great benefits and maintaining a great work environment. I really enjoy coming to work.

OK to stay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I worked at REI

Pros

Stand by the employees and understand the true meaning of work life balance. REI wants everyone to succeed and is an easy company to work for.

Cons

Like any and all other retail based compaines there is a large flux of growth and downtime based on the overall economy.

Stay focused and true to the company origin and don't sway too far into the high priced area of goods. Keep it simple

There are newer employer reviews for REI