There are newer employer reviews for REI

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Sales in Denver, CO

I have been working at REI

Pros

I have worked for REI for 11 years and have never once dreaded going to work. The people are great, the discount is great, the salary is mediocre, and the benefits package is FANTASTIC.

Cons

If you are not somebody interested in retail management the opportunities for advancement are pretty minimal. It can get a little repetitive, but they do a good job of moving people around every six months or so so people don't burn out on one area.

Keep doing what you're doing. Great communication about the direction of the company. I would consider paying your people a little better. One major pet peeve I have is that every time an across the board "salary realignment" happens it affects the people who were just hired and not so much your loyal people who have been around for a long time.

505 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

Great enviornnment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumner, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sumner, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros

Great benifits packages, awesome discount and a very positive work environment. I do not work in a retail location so I cannot speak of those. However the Direct Sales call center is a great place to work and be!

Cons

Can be very crowded on the inside. And I've encountered people who have had problems with promotions and supervisors. I am not one of those.

Make sure to listen to what your employees are saying! Make yourself available. Respond to what they have to say

Best Place I have ever worked!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at REI

Pros

Membership is why everyone at REI is not working for a Big Company, it is why REI can take care of the staff and take it's time on making big changes." Like laying off staff, closing stores, cutting benefits" this is what other companies do because of business. Communication is high I was able to change company polices while being a part-sale staff. It is a company and being professional will pay off. I have also made friends for a life time and after 13 year of working for REI, I would go back in a minute if life allowed it!

Cons

I think the cons for many maybe they forget it is a job, first! I think people build it into a family and forget they are there to sell stuff. It is a job and you do need to promote the Memberships and sell product to keep your job. I'm pretty sure most jobs work this way, you provide a service based on a job description and when you preform this service at the expected level you get payed.

It does take time, if your willing to put in the work and stay open for feedback, It will happen and you'll never be sorry!

There are newer employer reviews for REI