REI

www.rei.com

Big Box Retailer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Berkeley, CA

ProsGreat people on the floor, most of the time. Some of the old timers get away with murder and store manager are too ignorant or too much of a coward to deal with them. Great discounts and for the most time customers are really great people.

ConsDon not let your self be fooled by their excellent marketing REI is only a COOP on paper, this COOP is run in the same manner Walt Mart is, just look at the rate it is growing and REI pays horrendous salaries. It could easily compensate its staff full time and part time much better and ensured a much lower turnover. As well store managers end of the year bonuses are calculated in such fashion that saving monies is only beaten by department sales, they will schedule new part times as often as possible until they become too expensive.
I loved working for REI initially and was promoted rapidly, however the hunt for members and turning away from the COOP model really turned me off. As well the political correctness is overwhelming and if you’re not a liberal (hardcore) then this is not the place to work. Finally if the members actually where informed of employee salaries I am sure they as COOP “owners” would have a thing or two to say about the COOP leadership ways of treating the sales staff, take one look at store managers and the leaderships end of the year bonus and you know this is no longer a COOP.

Advice to Senior ManagementREI is a Big Box Retailer
Advice to senior leadership at HQ, wake up stop being fooled by retail directors find a new metrics to score for bonuses and for crying out loud. Either you are a COOP or come out and change your model or with that you must educate and train your retail managers.

Awesome experience!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Issaquah, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros: Great company,benefits, great ambience!!! The staff is super openly friendly… Cons: Haven't found one that I can count as a con! Advice to Senior Management: keep up the enthusiasm and encouraging your employees Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Education, engaging, but overall it's still retail.

Sales Specialist (Current Employee) Lynnwood, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros: Benefits are fantastic. Both medically and through the ProDeal system. Also,… Cons: During slow retail times of the year (January - March) it is… Advice to Senior Management: Positive feedback on a regular basis is MANDATORY to maintain happy employees. My… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on REI.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!