REI
www.rei.com Kent, WA 5000+ Employees

Big Box Retailer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Berkeley, CA

I worked at REI

ProsGreat people on the floor, most of the time. Some of the old timers get away with murder and store manager are too ignorant or too much of a coward to deal with them. Great discounts and for the most time customers are really great people.

ConsDon not let your self be fooled by their excellent marketing REI is only a COOP on paper, this COOP is run in the same manner Walt Mart is, just look at the rate it is growing and REI pays horrendous salaries. It could easily compensate its staff full time and part time much better and ensured a much lower turnover. As well store managers end of the year bonuses are calculated in such fashion that saving monies is only beaten by department sales, they will schedule new part times as often as possible until they become too expensive.
I loved working for REI initially and was promoted rapidly, however the hunt for members and turning away from the COOP model really turned me off. As well the political correctness is overwhelming and if you’re not a liberal (hardcore) then this is not the place to work. Finally if the members actually where informed of employee salaries I am sure they as COOP “owners” would have a thing or two to say about the COOP leadership ways of treating the sales staff, take one look at store managers and the leaderships end of the year bonus and you know this is no longer a COOP.

Advice to Senior ManagementREI is a Big Box Retailer
Advice to senior leadership at HQ, wake up stop being fooled by retail directors find a new metrics to score for bonuses and for crying out loud. Either you are a COOP or come out and change your model or with that you must educate and train your retail managers.

Awesome experience!!!

Issaquah, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros: Great company,benefits, great ambience!!! The staff is super openly friendly… Cons: Haven't found one that I can count as a con! Advice to Senior Management: keep up the enthusiasm and encouraging your employees Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great employer who cares about its employees

Kent, WA

I have been working at REI

Pros: Work life balance, growth oppotunity and a company that does the… Cons: REI has some times when change is hard to make happen.… Advice to Senior Management: Keep doing the job that you are doing. Sally Jewell is extremely forward thinking and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on REI.

Worked for REI? Contribute to the Community!

REI – Why Work for Us?

We Think It's Important to Feel Good About Where You Work People love working at REI because it's a place where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while enjoying a work-life balance. Another reason is that… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at REI reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for REI CEO Jerry Stritzke. All reviews posted anonymously by REI employees.