REI

There are newer employer reviews for REI

Excellent Part-Time Job!

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fairfax, VA
Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at REI

Pros

Fantastic discounts
Wonderful diverse community of people
Generous starting hourly pay
Good health benefits for part time
You will mostly work with liberal open minded ladies and gentlemen

Cons

At times I feel that the fact I was never a boyscout / girlscout counts against me in the social structure of the store.

Punishments and rewards should be more clearly defined.
Training should be more extensive in all aspects.

543 Other Employee Reviews for REI (View Most Recent)

It's all about who you directly work with... & it's totally corporate.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Falls Church, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Falls Church, VA

I worked at REI

Pros

It's a relatively easy job, even in customer service with difficult customers that come there w/ problems.

Cons

The ideals/image of REI & the reality are not exactly the same. Very corporate
    The scheduling became increasingly difficult.
    Low compensation
    Having to push "memberships"
    Boredom factor... it is retail after all. Could be worse (as in sales associate)
    It's not as portable of a job as one would think... I know one person who moved cross country & was promised close to FT hours but kept getting less than 20h/wk.
    Evaluations are done thru some system that was clearly brought (bought) from some management consulting (software) company... not always reflective or considerate of all the factors.

Every company has to evolve but its a shame REI has evolved so far away from it's roots & values. Big fast growth isn't always best.

Big Box Retailer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I worked at REI

Pros

Great people on the floor, most of the time. Some of the old timers get away with murder and store manager are too ignorant or too much of a coward to deal with them. Great discounts and for the most time customers are really great people.

Cons

Don not let your self be fooled by their excellent marketing REI is only a COOP on paper, this COOP is run in the same manner Walt Mart is, just look at the rate it is growing and REI pays horrendous salaries. It could easily compensate its staff full time and part time much better and ensured a much lower turnover. As well store managers end of the year bonuses are calculated in such fashion that saving monies is only beaten by department sales, they will schedule new part times as often as possible until they become too expensive.
    I loved working for REI initially and was promoted rapidly, however the hunt for members and turning away from the COOP model really turned me off. As well the political correctness is overwhelming and if you’re not a liberal (hardcore) then this is not the place to work. Finally if the members actually where informed of employee salaries I am sure they as COOP “owners” would have a thing or two to say about the COOP leadership ways of treating the sales staff, take one look at store managers and the leaderships end of the year bonus and you know this is no longer a COOP.

REI is a Big Box Retailer
    Advice to senior leadership at HQ, wake up stop being fooled by retail directors find a new metrics to score for bonuses and for crying out loud. Either you are a COOP or come out and change your model or with that you must educate and train your retail managers.

There are newer employer reviews for REI