Awesome

Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC
Current Employee - Cashier in Durham, NC

I have been working at REI

Pros

Great Discounts. you get 50 or more percent off, its crazy who would want to pay regular price after that

Cons

They brainwash you with corporate bull, 20 hour miniumum work week, required meetings, unhappy customers, short lunches, no bathroom breaks

Advice to Management

Its really a great place to work. you get awesome discounts, 50 percent or more off, its crazy. who would want to pay retail after that

reviews filtered by
  1. Best work experience of my life.

Former Employee - Analyst in Kent, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Kent, WA

I worked at REI

Pros

Great people - REI has an active, engaged workforce. Pleasant culture - the need to find balance between working hard and having fun is not only acknowledged but encouraged.

Cons

Some managers were reluctant to ask employees to be accountable - but I think that happens in any organization and is thankfully it is rare at REI.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on high levels of job satisfaction. Remain committed to quality product that everyone in the organization can be proud of. Continue to give back by supporting great causes.

Horrible experience, don't work at this location!

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Northville, MI

I worked at REI

Pros

-Customers can be awesome
    -Discounts (50% off REI products, 30% off all other brands)
    -Pro-dealing through companies
    -Work parties and management bringing on food which helped especially on days where there was a big sale
    -Breaks were fair and reasonable
    -Awesome pay for the job (start out at $9.90 an hour)

Cons

At my location, I had the unfortunate experience of working with management who were corrupt. They based their decisions based on politics and popularity of the individual. If you weren't in their inner circle, you weren't treated fairly. There was NO POSSIBLE WAY to make any of the managers happy. You think you're doing it right, and a manager tells you you're wrong. I was also shoved out of the way by a manager (literally) for dealing with a customer in the wrong way. The registers were made so that our backs were constantly to the customers and management would complain about us never looking back to see if customers were in line. ALSO, I worked there for a year and there was NO hope that I would ever move off of Frontline. I know that I did a great job, but management failed to base hours and promotions on job performance. There was absolutely no positive reinforcement. If something was my fault, I was battered and criticized until I cried. I had one specific manager that would constantly berate me, no matter what I did. It just seems like it would be a great place to work if the management wasn't as awful as it was at the Northville, MI location. Don't work here. STAY AWAY.

Advice to Management

POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT. Stop giving us the negative and tell us what we are doing right and how we can fix the wrong. Berating our performance is not going to help fix the situation, it will just make us not care even more. Also, stop pressuring the employees to sell memberships, when they aren't commission based and it also makes the job more fun when they're pushed so hard!