There are newer employer reviews for REI Systems

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Herndon, VA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced environment, friendly colleagues, fair benefits. The top executives care about the employees but lately there has been a disconnect.

Cons

lack of planning, unrealistic and uneven task assignments, too much work, stress. Sometimes feel like learning nothing new and working exactly same things.
Managers see-saw between being caring to mean and are overly focused on budget without focusing on proper planning and work allocation and lack the ability to motivate and utilize resources.
Technology is outdated and people who claim to know newer technologies seldom do.
Employees expected to work late nights and weekends frequently.

Growing sense of insecurity distrust in some employees needs to be addressed, now. Too much negative micro management. Need to encourage employees to learn newer technologies. Work life balance needs to be improved.

72 Other Employee Reviews for REI Systems (View Most Recent)

Great Company to work

Current Employee - Senior Development Database Engineer  in  Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Development Database Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Timings – which is very important from a work-life balance perspective.
    Senior management is always open to inputs / suggestions from employees, and actually listen to us.
    Opportunity to learn and grow along with the company.
    Management cares about the employees careers and employees are encouraged to pursue their career-path.
    Nice benefits - good healthcare , 401k Plan

Cons

Un-even task assignments which could be handled better

Work could be assigned even better across all the staff members

Like the Projects here - they really make a difference!

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer  in  Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at REI Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• My experience with REI has been very rewarding. Being an open source guy I was looking for a company where can I really help make an impact. I definitely think I have joined the right place.
    • They are the pioneers in introducing open source technology in federal government. The work we did on many high traffic, high visibility Government websites have been replicated across the globe and in state government sites as well.
    • I get a lot of job satisfaction here - when millions of users access web sites you built, and when you can see you are making a real impact on how the government runs, it gives a very creative satisfaction to me as a developer and forces me to develop even more great products!
    • Proud to say that my team in REI developed and operates 3 of the top 10 Open Government Web Sites. These are Data.gov, IT Dashboard and USAspending.gov (Per Information week, 2012 Jan - http://www.informationweek.com/government/information-management/top-10-open-government-websites/232500442)
    • My team has many highly energetic and enthusiastic folks who have real out of box thinking and innovation in their blood. Some of the team-members are fantastic and I have so much fun working with them.

Cons

• Due to Customer budgets, constraints, timelines etc. our designs, recommendations, ideas that leverage the latest tools sometimes cannot become a reality – and that constricts leveraging all potential…
    • I think better streamlining and structuring of priorities will definitely help.
    • REI needs to be more media savvy because I don’t see any news article about the great projects they have done.

Leverage our strengths to target state and local government too!

There are newer employer reviews for REI Systems

Worked for REI Systems? Contribute to the Community!