RG Steel

www.rg-steel.com

Run away. Run far, run fast.

Salaried Supervisor (Current Employee) Sparrows Point, MD

ProsFree uniforms, paid overtime, and the work is always exciting because you never know what idiotic thing senior management will come up with that you'll have to work around to keep the place running.

ConsInept senior management. Middle management is so shell-shocked that the only word they know is yes. The current ship of fools are AK steel castoffs, so the goal is to make Sparrows Point into AK East. AK Steel is a notoriously screwed up company that rarely makes profit, so I'm not real sure why we want to emulate them instead of Nucor or US Steel.

The current senior management du jour are master harvesters of low hanging fruit. There are two obstacles to Sparrows Point's survival, the cost of ore and the cost of energy. Thus, senior management focuses on safety and manpower--which is a lot like rearranging the dinner menu on the Hindenburg. If they continue, they will succeed in accomplishing Infinite Safety, where it's impossible to have an injury because nobody works there anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementGuess what? We're not AK and we're not in Ohio, KY, IN, or any other 20% unemployed state. You've cut headcount, salary and benefits for your supervisors, but you're not the big fish in the small pond here. Thus, many of your talented managers have left, while the rest of us are gearing up to. Those that remain are precisely the ones that should have been sacked years ago.

Personally, the new Salary Dis-Incentive debacle cut my pay by 15-20%. The insurance is much worse than what we had before and we lost tuition reimbursement. The constant threats of termination don't mean much to good employees. Fire us tomorrow, we'll have new jobs Monday, likely with better compensation. There is a reason that recruiters cold call us at our desks these days.

Horrible company closed plant and ended 100+yrs of steelmaking

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at RG Steel for more than a year

Pros: there is no pros at all Cons: company is now out of business No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

So so experience

I have been working at RG Steel

Pros: Good salary and benefits package Cons: Lack of communication from management No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on RG Steel.

Worked for RG Steel? Contribute to the Community!