Overlooked potential; hired as Inventory Auditor, rather than skilled Inventory Manager.

Former Employee - Inventory Auditor  in  East Providence, RI
Former Employee - Inventory Auditor in East Providence, RI

I worked at RGIS part-time for less than a year

Pros

Easy to learn, easy work, some other employees are fun to be around. New stores to inventory. They hire anyone off the street, as it were, to be Inventory Auditors, though they choose inexperienced people to be managers. VERY varied schedule, but I was used to that kind of thing.

Cons

I worked previously for WIS International, a competing company, for 8 years, working my way up to an Inventory Manager. When I left WIS, and applied for RGIS, I applied as an Inventory Manager, since I was qualified, considering the skills and experience required. I was hired, however, as an entry-level Inventory Auditor. The hiring manager knew of my previous experience, but ignored it. When I tried to give advice, I was looked down on by people who had only worked in the business for a year or two.

A district manager questioned why I was in the entry-level position, and the manager who happened to hire me (who was on the sales floor next to me) lied to the manager, and said that I never told her about my previous experience. Really?! Okay. She then told him that she had no idea who I was, so she couldn't really talk about it.

The job, considering there are no work vehicles (vans, etc.) can be hard on personal vehicles, since you need to drive yourself to and from each store. I quit a few months after working there, still as an Inventory Auditor - even AFTER the district manager suggested I be promoted, since we spoke for some time, and I gave a variety of suggestions that he told the other managers to put to use. The money wasn't worth it, since I was barely getting scheduled any hours, and I was paying more in gas than I was actually getting paid.

The favoritism was incredible. The "Top Guns" got to cherry pick whatever areas they wanted, and god forbid you try to scan the area!! Even certain shelves; for example, shelves 1-4 are fine for anyone, but 5-7 are for Top Guns ONLY.! Yet they wouldn't give other people the ability to become Top Guns. Only the people that they liked had that ability. The levels of "employment" - "auditor", "expert", "top gun", etc., are all useless. Everyone does the same job.

Actually check your managers in each office. Many of them don't know what they're doing. Even when I just started at this job, and had to learn a new machine, etc., I was STILL training other new people how to do the job. If someone says that they have the experience to do the job, test them, and if they pass, promote them.
The Top Gun, etc., "positions" need to be checked out, as well. Either give that ability to anyone who can obtain it, or get rid of it completely.
Company vans would be great for some people, especially in the "slow months" when it costs more to drive to the store than you'd receive working there.