There are newer employer reviews for RGM Advisors, LLC

Great company for those with families and who want to stay firmly in your comfort zone.

Former Employee - Trader in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Trader in Austin, TX

I worked at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Comfortable offices, and constantly changing difficult problem to solve. Very sharp colleagues.

Cons

Horizontal management structure limits any growth. Compensation is driven by random assignment of strategy allocation, and well below industry standards. One of my colleagues referred to the system of resource allocation as a high school popularity contest.

10 Other Employee Reviews for RGM Advisors, LLC (View Most Recent)

A fantastic place to work in a field I didn't expect to enjoy.

Current Employee - Database Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Database Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work environment is located in Downtown Austin, with views of the surround hills and lake, a modern design aesthetic, and any equipment you can desire. Despite being a financial firm, we operate as a technology firm first and foremost.

Getting to actual work involves by and large hands-off management, which works great for the right kind of personnel. High expectations are placed on everyone, from estimating effort through to project completion.

Projects are varied and interesting, since we deal with huge amounts of data, tons of computing power, and what sound like far-fetched ideas. When it all comes together, the things that our technology is capable of can be downright staggering, from the research to the trading through to the back office systems.

The level of talent is unmatched in my experience, which is a keeps me both motivated and on my toes. The conversations, whether work related or just geeking out over whatever it is we're into, are always fun..

We are treated well in all regards - from the simple things like food and drink to management understanding that working more hours doesn't make us more productive or valuable, it all adds up to a great work life, but more importantly, one that treads lightly on the life outside of work.

Also, meetings are used as a tool, not as the solution to every problem. Between this and the quality of life, that's what I have enjoyed the most as improvements over previous work environments.

Cons

To keep from sounding too positive to be believed, there are a few.

The work environment can be challenging if you are not self-motivated and disciplined, and those are things that cannot be gleaned from a resume or judged in an interview, so candidates should be very honest with themselves and RGM regarding those aspects of their personality, or expect to really focus on that as part of your personal development.

Getting new candidates has been challenging, which is unfortunate. We do have a very rigorous process, but I wouldn't make it easier just to get more bodies in the building.

Working from home isn't necessarily the best idea, as you can miss out on valuable context through conversations that really help build the picture and inform your decision making.

Company performance is very highly correlated with factors outside of our control, which can be very frustrating to see in contrast with the continued improvement of our technology and personnel.

The steady handed approach is something I'm very pleased to see, through ups and downs, and I believe that needs to stay a core piece of the enterprise to keep us in the hunt as one of the best places to work, and keep our performance at a high level. Things must change over time, but management builds trust at ever major decision point which makes the change more acceptable - just don't abuse that trust.

Collaboratively working with smart, driven coworkers on interesting quantitative problems in global financial markets.

Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Quantitative Researcher in Austin, TX

I have been working at RGM Advisors, LLC full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The work itself is interesting. We work on challenging quantitative problems like creating robust, predictive models using large data sets of financial time series.
    The culture is collaborative, encouraging and flexible. Employees here maintain a healthy sustainable work-life balance.
    Compensation is great and uses a communal structure to promote collaboration which is valued here.

Cons

Our structure is very flat, so employees don't frequently have title changes as responsibility, productivity and compensation increase.

There are newer employer reviews for RGM Advisors, LLC